• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Is sleeving a PSU hard.

TheBlueChanell

Supreme [H]ardness
2FA
Joined
Apr 15, 2005
Messages
4,658
I was wondering how hard it is to sleeve a psu. Paying someone 50$ to sleeve a psu is a little rediculous IMO. The reason I was leaning Toward's a PCPC, over a Seasonic was that the pcpc comes sleeved.
 
you could probably sleeve a normal PSU for around 20$ (including the pin extractor), and it would only take about 45 minutes. As long as your careful, you wont make mistakes and mess up your psu ;)
 
Newegg, has a vantec sleeving kit. Does anyone know if it comes with a pin extractor.
 
its really not easy and imho id rather have it done already which is why i bought the fortron blue storm 500 watt plenty of power and professional sleeving!
 
or you can cheat and use this stuff :) http://www.coolerguys.com/flexo6.html

Lot less work and looks good. I've used wire loom in the past which works good too. It all depends on the look you want. "true" sleeving takes time, but is worth the effort in the long run. Having done it, $50 is not a bad price...

Peace,
Tim
 
omg sleeving a PSU is a nightmare! After trying to sleeve my old PSU, and about 3 hrs of work, I barely got half of it done, and that's "with" a pin extractor. Trust me, save your fingertips and have someone else do it.

Just my $.02
 
I did all my molex in about 1 hour using a fire place blower to heat the heat shirnk (It was realy red neck way of doing it) But the 20 pin connection I didn't even touch.
 
I had a hell of a time with my antec 430. I think it took me close to 6 hours or more. My mistake probably was to sleeve every single last wire in my case. Including my 5 fans and their speed control wires. The sleeving and heatshrink I got was also a bad size, making it twice the effort.
 
Having sleeved just the interior wires in my case, I can say I would most definitely rather pay a professional $50 to do an entire PSU than do it myself.
 
Back
Top