Is my xp2500 locked #989898787

HybridHB

[H]ard|Gawd
Sorry for "the" question again but 35 mins with no luck on google forces me to ask one of the most asked questions. Im building a computer for my uncle, and ordered an Xp2500 from newegg which i got today. I was expecting something beyond week 340 but to my surprise i got a AQXFA 340 Which i dont know if its locked or not. There was a page somewhere with a list of locked bartons, maybe there should be a sticky for this question? Thanks for the help guys.

(oh and i ask because i cannot build it until this weekend and cant see for myself.)

ok erm, is the date 0340 on that? that is the last numeric series in your cpu 's ID. If it is after 0339 - I believe it prolly is locked. My AQXEA is unlocked 0330 week. SOME of the week 40's (few very few) are supposedly unlocked... looks like you'll have to wait & see -

oh well sorry it is but dont fret - you can still fiddle with the front side bus speed to overclock - heck try 11x200 and see if it will go - It prolly will.

Thanks guys. Like i say this is for my uncle. I doubt he will get into Ocing but you never know. I myslef have an unlocked AQXEA 330.

is it just luck whether you get an unlocked chip?
or are you more likely to get an unlocked one if it is retail or oem?

Sidewinder, if you purchase an amd cpu with a date before 0339 or earlier (say 0338) then the cpu's multiplier is unlocked. If after that date all are supposed to be locked. Now there are some people that say you can buy a mobile amd and they are not locked and some also claim that certain motherboards bypass the lock. Retail or oem does not matter much (tho if you can find a AQXEA 0330 or around that retail then you have the highly sought after grey core cpu - cpu core is grey instead of purple or brown - those have great reputations of high overclocks.)

Thats what makes me sad, this cpu is a silver top and it did 2.3ghz at 1.6V!!!! I since then changed it to 11x200 and cannot get it to boot in 11.5xx200 again, ugh!

After some fiddling i got it to boot at 12x200. I think it has something to do with cmos reloaded. What i would do is set everything in bios to the way i want it, then save it in cmos reloaded, then save and exit. Now when it reboots your changes will not take effect. Let it boot to windows then reboot and go back to bios. Change your multiplier to anything than what it was. Reboot and the mobo takes on all of your PREVIOUS settings. Thats how i got it to boot at 12x200. In bios its actually 11.5x200 right now, but like i said it for some reason takes on my previous settings.

ok, sounds like you might want to do a flush or deep clear of your cmos there HybridHB. My sugestion would be to set the cmos to clear and remove the battery for 30 minutes (as some cmos keep charges for a long time) then do a reboot and see if that helps. Or flash the bios to a new one might do the trick as well... Good luck -
I have always wondered what my cpu can do, but havent tried as my cooling is inadequate.

Back