is my RAM bad?

SpiderWaffle

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jul 4, 2007
Messages
243
I've got IP 35, e6320, OCZ DDR2 PC6400 4-4-4-15 ram was set to 2.1v for all testing

The highest I could get a stable clock at was around 445x7=3.115GHz, with 1:1 ram ratio so 890 MHz very modest for 800MHz ram and not very good for the e6320 considering I needed to use over 1.53v. I found could run Prime95 low ram test at 450x7, but if I tried to run the high ram test at 447x7 my computer would blue screen and crash after about 20 seconds.

So used the memTest boot CD, set it to 400x7 with a 1.2 ram ratio, so ram was at 960MHz and CPU was well under stable clock. It didn't even post at these settings. So I did 383x7 and 1.2 ratio so ram was at 919 MHz, a little over stable clock, it posted, went into Mem Test and failed at test 3 and locked up.

Also, it's specced for 4-4-4-15, but bios defaults it to auto which runs at 5-5-5-15, so I set the timmings to 4-4-4-15 and just to make sure that's CL, tRCD, tRP, and tRAS respectively right? I don't know about the other 4 so left them at auto. It would not post with these timings and 445x7 1:1


So this is probably a ram bottleneck right? or could it be the MB? Also, do you think I could return the ram to OCZ since it can't run 4-4-4-15 like specced? Would I just get the same type of ram back and probably the same bottle neck?
 
Ah wow. Im going to respond this as I see it.

So you overclocked your ram to 890mhz at 4-4-4-15 2.1v?

Thats a damn good overclock, and thats also probably your problem. As you overclock your ram, you have to relax the timings. I also have DDR 800 ram 4-4-4-15, and in order to do 925mhz, which is what I am at now, I have to change the timings to 5-5-4-15. You will need to do the same. If you have 1 GB sticks, you might be able to do 5-4-4-15, or something, but needless to say, your either going to have to get your speed closer to 800 to stay at the 4-4-4-12, or your going to need to change the timings.

Leaving all other settings on auto is fine, your board will detect and set accordingly.

the default of 5-5-5-15 is normal for all non EPP ram. It has to do with the JDEC standard and default voltage. In most cases running DDR800 at 4-4-4-12 at JDEC voltage standard of 1.8v is not possible, and would cause your PC not to post. So your ram defaults to higher timings so that it will post at 1.8v. At that point, you will put your voltage to the proper levels and timings manually, unless your turn EPP on on your EPP ram.
 
I've got IP 35, e6320, OCZ DDR2 PC6400 4-4-4-15 ram was set to 2.1v for all testing


So this is probably a ram bottleneck right? or could it be the MB? Also, do you think I could return the ram to OCZ since it can't run 4-4-4-15 like specced? Would I just get the same type of ram back and probably the same bottle neck?


Ram overclocks arn't guaranteed. It's not OCZ's fault you cant run 4-4-4-15 @ 960mhz.

My question to you is does the ram run 4-4-4-15 @800mhz which is 7x400 1:1 ratio at 2.1V?

If so, you shouldn't attempt to return it, you have no basis. If you wanted ram that ran at 900mhz at 4-4-4-15, you should have purchased some 5-5-5-18 DDR2 1000 and have hopes that with the under clock that you can run 4-4-4-15.

Also, I'm under the impression that C2Ds don't benefit much or at all from having a ram divider over 1:1, can someone back me up on this?

You know your ram is good for around 890mhz. I would find the highest processor over clock and use a ram divider to get the ram around 890. This might be your 445x7.

Michael

edit: It's not always the RAM's fault it doesn't have the said timings upon boot. Many times motherboards don't recognize the timings either from a ram change without cmos clear, or the motherboard it self uses auto timings that set them very lax.
 
Back
Top