Is my Netgear Wireless N router fried?

Prozac1964

Limp Gawd
Hi everyone. I hope someone can advise me. I have a Netgear WNDR3300 wireless router and it's worked really well up until today. This afternoon lightning struck hard only 50 feet from our house. I was actually on my way to unplug my desktop from the wall when it happened, but by the time I got there, I think the damage was already done. I noticed a red mark of some sort on the network icon in the system tray. Well I turned it off and unplugged it anyway until the storm was gone.

When I turned my computer back on, the Netgear router would not work. The power light and the blue dome on top of the router lit up as well as the number 1, which is the port I use to plug my cable modem in. But the router wouldn't let the internet pass through. I could plug direct into the modem and the internet worked fine, but I had to take the router out of the mix.

So I'm trying to find out if the router is fried from the lightning. Basically I need help diagnosing the problem and fixing it if I can. Here are the steps I've taken thus far:

1. unplugged the power and plugged it back in.
2. tried plugging into another power outlet.
3. tried resetting it using the recessed button on the back on the unit.
4. tried connecting it with a new cord.

None of the above worked, so I thought I'd check here to see if someone might be able to help me troubleshoot it.

Thanks for any help. :)

Does Windows show a LAN connection?

Can you ping the router or connect to it through the browser ie. http://192.168.0.1 or whatever the IP is?

There's a good chance it bit the dust.

I'm using Windows 7, it does show a LAN connection. I cannot ping the router. On the router just the power light and the port light number 1 is showing. No wireless light. I think it's fried.

Back