Is my memory bh-5 or excellent ch-5?

computerpro3

LightningRod
Hi,

WEll, I have here a stick of Corsair XMS PC3500 v1.1 512mb memory. It can do 470mhz 2-3-2-5 with 2.8V. If I set it to 2-2-2-5 at any speed, it gives me a bios checksum error with a very loud beep code:eek: . yes i have my pc/agp locked and all the usual good stuff. I heard that the v1.1 was BH-5 and this stick oc's like bh-5, but it has issues with my i875p mobo. So, what is it? any help would be appreciated! Oh, btw, do you think this memory could do 480 2-3-2-5 at 3.2v?

Originally posted by John-St
All Corsair PC3500 was manufactured with BH-5 memory.
what!?
i hear that Corsair PC3500 v1.2 is CH-5.. or is there a such thing?

Only Corsair 1.1 is BH5. So yes, you memory is BH5 and may I say that is an excellent overclock but not running 2-2-2 is obviously some malfunction, whether it be due to your motherboard or the ram irself.

Originally posted by Darkstar559
what!?
i hear that Corsair PC3500 v1.2 is CH-5.. or is there a such thing?

supposedly corsair has only made one revision of xms3500c2, v1.1

or that's what I hear
so theoretically all xms3500 bould be BH-5

as for the topic,
the ras-to-cas delay, the one you are having problems with, is most often the trickiest to get right on 865/875 mobos, and supposedly the most important timing. the other timings sometimes make very little difference in even game benchmarks, but the RtCD makes the biggest and best difference. if you gave your BH-5 3.2v, it will love you forever. you could probably pull in your RtCD to 2 and maybe even take it higher freq, depending on the mem voltage regulator on your mobo.

wait. You have *A* stick? on a canterwood board?!

oh. I see.
"another in the mail"

two sticks may hinder your overclock

good luck with some good BH-5

Your stick behaves just like my Adata BH5 module, EXACTLY the same. It runs up to 238MHz at 2-3-5-2 stable at 2.8v, but wont do above 216MHz at 2-2-5-2. I am 100% certain that the stick is BH5, otherwise on the IC7 you would have hit a wall well before 3.50GHz.

I imagine with 3.2v on that module, 2-5-2-2 at 240MHz would be easy, in my experience, BH5s seem to increase by around 5-8MHz on the top overclock at the same timings per 0.1v added. Of course, at higher voltages the returns diminish, but 240MHz isnt asking too much of it.

As for the XMS3500, the people who said there are CH5 versions are correct. As far as I know, XMS3500PTC2 is BH5, but XMS3500C2PT is CH5. There are v1.1 and v1.2 and these do distinguish between the chips on them. For a long time XMS3500 was BH5, but now with BH5 long out of production, Corsair have been forced to switch.

hmmm thats good that i have bh-5...cause i am about to do the memory voltmod to my mobo as soon as radio shack gets there fine point soldering tips back in stock (home depot doesn't have any either):mad: . still, that 2-2-2-5 error is frustrating. I wonder what causes it. I think i'll check if a new bios was released yet (i am on 18 now). Oh yeah, I would have had two sticks by now, but newegg sent me ecc pc3200 when my invoice said xmspc3500. They are overnighting me the replacement and paying for shipping both ways:D . Newegg's customer service is simply incredible.

You're mistaking XMS3500 with XMS3200. Revision 1.1 XMS3200 uses BH-5, but revision 1.2 XMS3200 uses CH-5. XMS3500 isn't in production any more, but all modules were made with BH-5.

As for two sticks hindering your overclock, I have four running perfectly happy with latencies at 2-2-2-5.

well, by hinder I mean he can obviously get a better memory overclock in single channel than in dual

but your bandwidth is cut in half

he will still probably be able to get a very nice clock though

those timings look ch-5ish to me... theres only two ways to be sure its bh-5... boot 200fsb@2-2-2-5, or look at the chips. If I were you, I'd just take the damn heatspreaders off and find out.

Back