• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Is my drive dying?

Grizzy

Gawd
Joined
Sep 14, 2003
Messages
786
I have had my 120gb drive for over a year now, and never had any problems with it until about a week ago. I got a computer (1.5ghz P4) from my grandparents and I decided to make a server out of it. I set it up in my room (already had my main rig running) and powered it on. I heard my main rig's hard drive power down then spin back up immediately.

I was kinda freaked out, so I didnt mess with the server much that day. I turned it on again the next day, and it did the same thing, only it stayed powered down for a few seconds before spinning back up.

I had some serious data corruption (I think that was because of the loss of power while turned on) so I had to format the hard drive. While I was inside my computer checking connections to my hard drive, I unplugged my DVD drive to check if the PSU wasn't giving it enough power.

I powered it back up and all seemed fine (with the DVD unplugged). I just turned my TV on (server is off) and the hard drive powered down and spun back up right away. I am wondering if my hard drive is dying (only has like 3 days left to RMA it, already got the form ready so I have 30 days to get it in if it's dying) or if there is just some kind of electro-magnetic charge that is messing with my main rig when other things in my room get turned on, or if I just don't have enough power in my room to handle all my electronics.

Quick help is appreciated, because if my drive is dying, I want to RMA it ASAP because my rig is vital to my sanity so downtime would be bad :p
 
Back up any data that you really need and see if the problem continues. It might be a PSU problem or a power in the room problem. Go grab a UPS and see if it helps at all. :)
 
Back
Top