Is my CPU now toasted??

ziscwg

Limp Gawd
Joined
Feb 20, 2004
Messages
354
What part is causing the issue.
The problem is intermitent. On a cold boot, my system will start and after the IDE detection, the bois will read something like "loading cpu defaults, cpu is not workable".

If I go into the bios, not change anything, and hit F10 and save, everything works fine set at it's previous settings. I can then run games and prime95 without errors.

My new items in the system are:
Abit NF7-s v 2.0 Mobo
AMD 2500 @ 3200 11 x 200fsb, vc @ 1.7
512 mb muskin memory
Power Supply: Antec true power 420 w.

I have tried a few different vcore settings, but it has not helped.

When I set the cpu at stock speeds, it still does it.

I have played with various overclocks to see what the cpu can do. So I wonder if one of my attempts killed it or what.

I have this problem with bios rev 21, 22, and 23 (newest)

Any thoughts?

Other system items:
PowerColor ATI 9800 pro.
WD 100gb hd
Audigy2 ZS
WinXp Pro SP1

:confused:
 
Have you tried resetting the CMOS? Leave the jumper on for a good 15 seconds.

I see that you've tried this with other BIOS so I am sure you've reset at those points. I have seen this happen on my NF7-S as well and it always seemed to go away after clearing the CMOS and re-entering my settings.
 
I have cleared the cmos after each bios version. I only had the clear jumper set for 5 seconds or so. I'll try longer.
 
I would be willing to bet the battery on your mobo is bad, and isn't holding a charge well enough to keep your bios settings saved after a relatively long power off.

Erik
 
I put my volt meter on the battery and it showed 2.99 vdc. Stated battery voltage is 3.0 vdc, so i thought it was ok. It's a cheap test. I'll replace the battery and see if my problem is fixed.
 
Back
Top