Is modular worth the extra money?

The fact that you bought a RaidMax PSU in the first place basically invalidates your opinions in this entire subforum.

I was simply pointing out that swapping to a modular power supply greatly improved my airflow and lowered my temps. The fact that I didn't buy a particular brand as a fanboy is inconsequencial. My build would perform no differently with a high-end PSU than with the raidmax. Plus it was cheapsauce http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817152028

So...To answer the OP's question, for me it was worth the $...But there wasn't as much of a price difference in my situation.
 
I was simply pointing out that swapping to a modular power supply greatly improved my airflow and lowered my temps. The fact that I didn't buy a particular brand as a fanboy is inconsequencial. My build would perform no differently with a high-end PSU than with the raidmax. Plus it was cheapsauce http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817152028

So...To answer the OP's question, for me it was worth the $...But there wasn't as much of a price difference in my situation.

You don't seem to get it. That Raidmax is a piece of shit PSU, and has a significantly higher likelihood of failure than a quality PSU would. Not only that, but if you load it anywhere near what it's rated for, chances are your shiny Raidmax will turn into a flaming Raidmax. Since you purchased such a low-quality PSU, it's likely that you don't have a lot of knowledge on the subject of power supplies. That's the point that silent-circuit was trying to make.
 
You don't seem to get it. That Raidmax is a piece of shit PSU, and has a significantly higher likelihood of failure than a quality PSU would. Not only that, but if you load it anywhere near what it's rated for, chances are your shiny Raidmax will turn into a flaming Raidmax. Since you purchased such a low-quality PSU, it's likely that you don't have a lot of knowledge on the subject of power supplies. That's the point that silent-circuit was trying to make.

His point is not lost on me. I am no power supply expert. I wasn't critiqing his selection of PSUs and was only speaking to the OP's question of non-modular vs modular and the real-world benefit i recieved from switching... which ain't rocket surgery. Also, I'm not afraid to throw another shitty PSU into my rig if this one blows. However, when my "shiny" Raidmax explodes and burns down my house killing my wife and child, I will send you a PM expressing how much I regret not listening to your wisdom and further educating myself on the importance of a high-end PSU.
 
Back
Top