Is it worth it making a raid 5 for my case?

pojolee

n00b
I have a 400 dollar budget in which I would like to buy atleast 4 120 or 160 gig ata hard drives to make it into a raid 5 array. I would be using this as storage for regular office files, network shared storage and video editing storage. I already have a raptor for my video editing scratch drive so this raid array does not have to be that fast, but it should be. :)

Do you think it is worth it for me to start spending the money in order to get about a half a terrabyte worth of storage that is redundant if a hard drive fails? Or do you think I should hold out?

I would like to see a 3 disk raid using one of those 2 5.25 bay 3 drive bays. With 3 drives, each has a small boost in perfomance over raid 1, and you dont loose half your hd storage. Each drive has parity, so if one drive dies the array can still be rebuilt.

I'm going to use the RAID controller that is built onto my ABIT KT-7A Raid, or I am going to use my Highpoint 370 raid. I don't really want to spend the money yet on an SATA controller. Unless its real cheap or real fast.

KT7A RAID controller wont do RAID 5
on top of which even if it did its an onboard controller and is effectively software anyway
(it would use the CPU for XOR parity calculations)

the HPT370 wont do RAID5 either
and if Im not mistaken they are one and the same

Back