Is Hot Glue Conduction?

cam966251

[H]ard|Gawd
Hi, i dont realy know were to put this but here goes, i was wondering if the glue you use for hot glue guns (the hot glue sticks) Are conductive to electricity?

Its the AC Moore branded Hot Glue, if i used to between wires, so they dont touch, for my 12v 4pin P4 extension cable i am making.

Thank you

Cory

I am 95% certain it isn't, I have seen many circuit boards that have looked like they have had some wires hotglued to the board to hold them down.

I've used hot glue on circuits before. It might have *some* conductivity, but certainly nothing easily measurable.

Mohonri said:
I've used hot glue on circuits before. It might have *some* conductivity, but certainly nothing easily measurable.

Alright, as long as it doesnt fry my whole computer, then i'm good.

Check a stick of your unmelted hot glue with an ohmmeter to see if it passes electricity, then you will know for sure if it will pass electricity.

webbee said:
Check a stick of your unmelted hot glue with an ohmmeter to see if it passes electricity, then you will know for sure if it will pass electricity.

i wish i had one of those.

i'm looking at the circuit board from a consumer amp and it's covered in hot glue. it's completely safe and normal practice. :p

Normal Hot Glue = Non-Conductive

Silicone & Silicone II = Non-Conductive

High-temp or Made-For-Metals Hot Glue = Possibly Conductive, grab a meter.

All you need to test the condutivity is a MultiMeter. They should sell them at just about any home improvment center. Check your local Lowes, Home Depot, or even Radio Shack.

I recall seeing a photo on these forums of someon that use hot glue and melted the shielding right off the wires... now Im not too familiar with it but my guess is use one that has a varible temperature on it. It seems that hot glue guns have all different temps to them.

DaRkF0g said:
I recall seeing a photo on these forums of someon that use hot glue and melted the shielding right off the wires... now Im not too familiar with it but my guess is use one that has a varible temperature on it. It seems that hot glue guns have all different temps to them.

i'd imagine some do.. the one's i use have on temp.. but of course when you're working with stuff like this you have to be careful.

I know that. Thats what I thought when I saw it. Everytime I take apart a circuit board there is glue all over the place. Cant be THAT hot. Thats where I got the idea that there were ones with different temps.

Use the low temp stuff, the high temp will probably melt pvc without a problem. I use my tiny low temp glue gun all the time.

Hot melt is far less hot than the temperatures that can melt PVC insulation.

And it isn't conductive. Take a part a cheap computer power supply (where everything is hotmelted together for some unknown reason) and you'll see a good example. ;)

Which is what explains that new burning plastic smell when you get a new PSU (a cheap one). All Ultra ones do that. :eek: It has always puzzled me why you need to clue the caps together when they arent going to move anywhere in the first place.

Back