Is colocation plausible in my case?

CorpX

Limp Gawd
We (around 6 guys) play CS:S pretty regularly and kind of want our own public server. One of the guys just upgraded his pc, so his old one isnt being used right now. Its a 2.4p4 and should be able to host a server fine.

Since, this isnt a "server", I dont know how it'll even go into a rack. We're not sure about how much bandwidth a CS:S server would use. Anyone ever colocated a "computer" at a data center?

I asked for some quotes and they're higher than we expected (from 100-150 range). Are these guys bargainable?

For comparison, we can rent out a 20slot server for $80 from a reputable provider.

I would just rent out the server rather then colo, or if you really want order a dedicated server from some one if you really want to run it yourself. If you colo you need to understand that any hardware failure will either require some one going out to the DC and repairing it or shipping the hardware and paying A LOT for the on site team to do the work for you.

All of us live in Austin, TX and there's around 5-10 datacenters here. They're all accessible to us, so that wont be a problem.

What gets me is that I could rent out a dedicated server for cheaper (theplanet.com) than colo at the rates these guys are offering.

Our clan (The Gathering - www.thegclan.com) has had a few dedicated servers in our two year history.

We moved from theplanet to SoftLayer a few months ago and couldn't be happier.

We are running 3 ET servers, 3-5 SWBF II servers, 3 Jedi Academy servers, 3 CS:S, 3 DOD:S, 1 TDM server, and 2 FEAR servers on a dedicated dual cpu woodcrest server for about $250/month.

But if you just need a dedicated CS:S Pub server checkout www.fatpipeserver.com/specials.html you can get a 16man pub for $35/month and I've been pretty happy with Iggy and the gang @ FatPipe.

HTH

We are running 3 ET servers, 3-5 SWBF II servers, 3 Jedi Academy servers, 3 CS:S, 3 DOD:S, 1 TDM server, and 2 FEAR servers on a dedicated dual cpu woodcrest server for about $250/month.

Isnt that quite overloading the server? even for a x2 ?

16man pub for 35$ really sounds bad. We had a 10man private for ~40$ a few months ago. I really think you get what you pay for in the game server rental business, so as to stick with the big time established companies (velocity/nfo etc).

Isnt that quite overloading the server? even for a x2 ?

16man pub for 35$ really sounds bad. We had a 10man private for ~40$ a few months ago. I really think you get what you pay for in the game server rental business, so as to stick with the big time established companies (velocity/nfo etc).

Not overloaded at all. (And if you think that it should be overloaded, go ahead and join one of them and let me know)

I'm not here to try and convince you to or anyone else that FatPipeServers is a good company. Email them and ask for a trial of one of their servers. I have had COD2 and CS:S servers from them both in Texas (which is where they are based) and in Chicago and Saint Louis and have been happy with the pings and the uptime. As well if any updates/patches are released for Mani,etc all it takes is an email and they take care of it for you.

So go ahead and keep paying $40 for your 10 man private. I'll keep saving money and be just as happy with the uptime/support/pings as you.

All of us live in Austin, TX and there's around 5-10 datacenters here. They're all accessible to us, so that wont be a problem.

What gets me is that I could rent out a dedicated server for cheaper (theplanet.com) than colo at the rates these guys are offering.
Yep, that's because collocating a tower takes up far to much space. Compare that to a similarly equipped 1U rackmount which you could probably fit 4-5 of them in the space your tower takes up.

We dont really care about physical security for this box though. We're just gonna run a cs:s server off of it and thats it. :/ O well.

Then again, if the rack space is empty, they're not getting paid for anything. Another way to look at it :p

Anyone know how bragainable these quotes for hosting are?

Not overloaded at all. (And if you think that it should be overloaded, go ahead and join one of them and let me know)

I'm not here to try and convince you to or anyone else that FatPipeServers is a good company. Email them and ask for a trial of one of their servers. I have had COD2 and CS:S servers from them both in Texas (which is where they are based) and in Chicago and Saint Louis and have been happy with the pings and the uptime. As well if any updates/patches are released for Mani,etc all it takes is an email and they take care of it for you.

So go ahead and keep paying $40 for your 10 man private. I'll keep saving money and be just as happy with the uptime/support/pings as you.

For private scrim servers, registration is everything and everyone will be bitching if its not a real 100tic+ server. Here is a random poll from the cal forums ( http://forums.caleague.com/showthread.php?t=96998 ) and you can see everyone tend to stick to the established and trusted companies.

I'm looking at the " Intel Celeron 2.0GHz+ 80GB Hard Drive 512 MB RAM" from theplanet.com and that should be plenty to host just one 20slot source server, right?

Then again, if the rack space is empty, they're not getting paid for anything. Another way to look at it :p
Think of it this way, they could either have 1 customer take up all that room or potentially 4-5 customers paying a little less but over all making more out of it.

For private scrim servers, registration is everything and everyone will be bitching if its not a real 100tic+ server. Here is a random poll from the cal forums ( http://forums.caleague.com/showthread.php?t=96998 ) and you can see everyone tend to stick to the established and trusted companies.

Hmm, I was pretty sure your first post was talking about setting up a pub server, yet now we are talking about private scrim servers and match servers?

I've played in CAL, TWL and GWL so I understand the importance of a good server for a match.

Had your first post mentioned a private match/scrim server my anwser would have been different.

To stick your tower in a server rack, seeing how it doesn't have rails you would need a shelf, and then lay it down on its side. You are looking at taking up 4 rack units. They are going to charge your for every "U" that you use, and may even have an extra charge for providing you a shelf if you don't have one.

In the colo world every rack unit is real estate to them. Just because its not in use don't expect them to let it be used as a halfway house.

Unless you know somebody, or are going to be spending a ton of cash, I would say most places are not going to give you a bargain or let you haggle the price unless you are buying entire racks, and cages.

If you run a Linux server you could look into renting a VPS. With these you basically rent part of the servers resources so you get a dedicated amount of RAM, disk space, network, CPU etc.

Any other route look to spend at least $100

We're talking with a local LAN center that has "fiber internet connection" to colocate with them. Hopefully it works out.

Hmm, I was pretty sure your first post was talking about setting up a pub server, yet now we are talking about private scrim servers and match servers?

I've played in CAL, TWL and GWL so I understand the importance of a good server for a match.

Had your first post mentioned a private match/scrim server my anwser would have been different.

My fault, but this server is indeed a pub, but we're expecting the same kind of registration/latency that we're used to in scrims ;)

Think of it this way, they could either have 1 customer take up all that room or potentially 4-5 customers paying a little less but over all making more out of it.

Good point. Is there any way to colo this thing without actually being in a rack? We wouldnt even mind if the box is just laying on the floor ;)

Good point. Is there any way to colo this thing without actually being in a rack? We wouldnt even mind if the box is just laying on the floor ;)

Check with some of the other colos near you. I know one near me charges the same price per month for a 1U/2U/Tower server.

nope, Austin :( and we wouldnt mind paying 70/month to colocate the box.

nope, Austin :( and we wouldnt mind paying 70/month to colocate the box.

No major datacenters in Austin that I am aware of. Dallas/FW area is your best bet for quality bandwidth.

But honestly, I agree with most here, just get a dedicated box and then the support is on someone else.

This isnt the reason at all, they wouldnt let you put a tower in, sure but space isnt really the issue, the server hsots will run 5-10 servers on one machine there you 80$ for one server means their one machine is earning them upto 800$ for the space that would cost you alot less.

Back