Is a raptor worth the money?

goleith

n00b
I just built a new system for gaming. I dont do much else with it except use the web/aol/ put my grades in ms excel (I am a teacher)
FX-53
asus deluxe
1 gig corsair
evga geforce 6800GT
audigy 2

I need a new hard drive. I can't decide between:
74 raptor for $160 or
80 Seagate Barracuda 7200 8MB Buffer SATA HDD for $80

Thats a BIG difference in price. Since they both have transfer rates of 150MB/sec, is the 10000 spin on the Raptor really worth the extra $80 ?? :confused:

Don't let the "advertised" transfer rates fool ya. Neither will achieve this level of performance, alone. You want a single reliable drive, either will do, and many of the true SATA 7200 RPM drives have been shown to exceed the Raptors in terms of data throughput. Get HDTach, and run it on you're current set-up. Check out the real world results of many single and RAID configurations. You can make a more intelligent buying decision based on these results. Sandra says I should be able to hit 144MB/sec burst rates with my current array (who believes Sandra?) Raid is a pain, be glad to get my Netcell card repaired/replaced. Go with the Barracuda, and lock OS into a partition no bigger than 10GB at beginning of drive (fastest part), archive with the rest and enjoy.

You do that through what is called partitioning. There are currently no free and safe ways to resize an NTFS partition, so you will have to go with purchasing software such as PartitionMagic or Acronis's PartitionExpert.

Back