Is a Cisco RVS4000 worth $38?

I wouldn't pay 8 dollars for it....deployed a few, replaced 'em pretty quick.

Their replacement, the RV180w and RV220w...are very good however...based on the couple I deployed so far.

no... buy asus
don't forget the firmware fiasco linksys had awhile back

i just replaced 2 wrvs4000's they are pretty crappy units, under any heavy traffic load, they fail! IMO they suck!

Are you wanting to use it as an AP or a router?

From an AP standpoint the best $39.00 solution I have ever used and I am not kidding is the TP-LINK 300M. It is a very nice AP to be honest for the cheeeeeeep brand and name. I am not kidding.

Can do 4 SSID's all with their own security and with each on a VLAN using .1q protocol on its ethernet as a trunk port.

It can even ping a host of your choice and when the ping stops answering it will auto-reboot in case of a signaling issue etc...

You wouldn't think these are any good but I am definitely impressed for the money.

And it is putting out a really sharp signal.

Couldn't handle heavier wireless loads.....try to get several laptops transferring a couple of hundred megs...and it'll drop connections wireless clients now 'n then.

but this isnt wireless, just wired. i would use a separate AP for wireless.

so the conciseness is this is junk and not worth 38 bucks.

i think i am going to try to return it without the recept and try to get $150 for it (what it is selling for on staples site). if that works it will be worth $38.

i think i am going to try to return it without the recept and try to get $150 for it (what it is selling for on staples site). if that works it will be worth $38.

So in other words you are going to try and steal money? :rolleyes: Real nice.

rvs4000 is a perfectly fine cheap home router with a small gig switch built in... Everyone here is commenting on its wireless version, which I've also used with successful results at houses. As with everything, there are situations where it doesn't work well and I think examples have been given :p

If that's the case....just wired...it's OK.
Only complaint I have with the newer RVS and new RV series is the VERY long reboot times...and they need a reboot at almost every configuration change you make.

Once configured and all set...shouldn't be an issue though.

It's because of assholes like you that return policies are becoming more restrictive.

Back