Is a cheap Onkyo 5.1 system better than PC speaker setup?

n3rdcore

n00b
I was looking in the $100- 200 range at 5.1 computer speakers (the logitechs, klipsch, etc) and was wondering if it's just worth the extra $100 to buy a cheap onkyo surround system. I have had a couple of the Onkyo systems and they are decent little budget setups. But wondering if the sound quality of the speakers made specifically for computers is better or more relevant to a PC setup?

I have a roughly 5 year old setup of logitech 5.1 and they are basically crap. the model number escapes me at the moment but i doubt i paid more than 100 for them. I'm just wondering if the PC speakers are worth bothering with or just spend a bit extra and get a "real" receiver and speakers.

BTW this will be mostly for gaming and watching movies, and will be on the onboard sound from a Asus P5Q Pro. Thanks!

Thanks!

The Onkyo sub is pretty bad. Other than that, it is certainly better yes. Look at partsexpress too. They have some decent 5.1 speakers for cheap.

Night and day. If your Onkyo has an optical in - or a sp/dif (toslink) - even more reason to go for it.

The sub blows, but its tons better than anything logitech has ever made.

Back