• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

IPS panels

MoPar_Kid

n00b
Joined
May 31, 2012
Messages
31
I'm new to HDTVs so bare my arrogance :)

I'm looking for a 37"-42" monitor for my HTPC w/ a good GPU for extensive hardcore FPS gaming (which rules out plasma). I've heard great reviews w/ LG and Panasonic IPS LCD's, but I read LG likes to play panel lottery and Panny doesn't support 4.4.4 wich to me really isnt a big deal as input lag and PQ is. That being said, I'd go w/ a Panny, but it seems U3's are no longer available for 2012 :(. Stores online still have old stock, but Idk if I want to take that risk. I'd like to see one on display. Being thats not an option I seek your guys guidance.

So how does/did LG compare to Panny in terms of lag/PQ/contrast/color/ghosting/clouding/bleading/eveness etc... Does LG offer any advantages in input options or features over Panny that I should consider for a PC? My other question, how does 60hz compare to 120hz @ 1080? Is 120hz noticeably laggier where the slight PQ isnt worth it? I'm a CRT gamer so I imagine I'll notice anything over 15-20ms.

Much thanks btw
 
Why no Plasma? The new 2012 Plasma are all under 8ms and have a picture refresh rate of 2000-2500hz.
 
Last edited:
Why no Plasma? The new 2012 Plasma are all under 8ms and have a picture refresh rate of 2000-2500hz.

Plasma is horrible as a monitor choice. Even these days it has image retention issues. Leave anything static up for too long and you'll see it for a while.

Also Plasmas still just take 60hz input.

LCD TVs are also still only taking 60hz inputs, but there are PC monitors that take 120hz input.

As for input lag, I haven't really looked into it on TVs.
 
Plasma is horrible as a monitor choice. Even these days it has image retention issues. Leave anything static up for too long and you'll see it for a while.

Also Plasmas still just take 60hz input.

LCD TVs are also still only taking 60hz inputs, but there are PC monitors that take 120hz input.

As for input lag, I haven't really looked into it on TVs.

agreed for a monitor terrible choice , but if playing just game and no desktop usage it is the best for image quality and lag , I use my Samsung pn59d8000 all the time for pc games , nothing yet :D
 
I'll agree 100% that plasma has the least lag, fastest refresh rate, darkest blacks, best PQ,... But, they get too hot, they're not efficient, they're noisy, and most importantly, they're plagued with IB/IR. Being this will be a monitor thats a no go. Even if it weren't, I work nights w/o DVR so I game 5-6hrs religiously lol. Granted Its usually COD HCTD (no HUD) I'd still fear IB and what my electric bill would be.
 
On a side note, I played on a friends 42" 1080p/60hz Philips that I honestly was impressed w/. I took down the model # (42TSL37Q4D/F7) but cant find ANY info on it. I know a lot of people say philips is one of the worst for lag, but I didn't notice any at all. I wish I could find test results to get an idea of my sensitivity.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top