• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

IPS panels from Korea?

Krieger91

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
May 6, 2007
Messages
1,879
Right now I am using a 27" asus lcd @ 60hz, I bought it a little more than 2 years ago. I have been looking at different korean displays. Honestly, I don't know much about these at all. I want something that would be an upgrade so 2560x1400 seems pretty reasonable at around ~$300.

Could someone provide insight on any of these or suggest better ones? I am just going to be playing games like BF3 and Borderlands 2.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-YAMAKAS...6460?pt=Computer_Monitors&hash=item19d35cf2dc

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Tempere...1986?pt=Computer_Monitors&hash=item1e6fcfb462

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-ACHIEVA...4478?pt=Computer_Monitors&hash=item2a2145bb3e
 
As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I am in the same boat as you i even have the same asus monitor as a matter of fact lol but i have been looking into the shiman and the crossover the shiman seems to be the cheapest and the crossover has the best build quality.
 
OP for gaming you want the models with the lowest input lag, they will be the base models with only a DVI-D connector.

The models you linked are the tempered glass versions, is there any reason you're researching those? They drive the cost of the monitors up, they are more reflective than the standard glossy ones and even have dual reflections sometimes, and there can be dust specs trapped inside which resemble dead pixels.

My advice, go back to Ebay and do a search using the search term "2560x1440", sort your results by price, then go for the lowest price Shimian or Catleap that you can find (Between $280-$290 shipped total). Or if you have a seller you're favoring then just buy his lowest price base model, it'll be the model you want for gaming ;)

I've had my base model Catleap for a few months now and love every minute of it, it doesn't have the tempered glass but it's still glossy and crystal clear with even backlighting.
 
OP for gaming you want the models with the lowest input lag, they will be the base models with only a DVI-D connector.

The models you linked are the tempered glass versions, is there any reason you're researching those? They drive the cost of the monitors up, they are more reflective than the standard glossy ones and even have dual reflections sometimes, and there can be dust specs trapped inside which resemble dead pixels.

My advice, go back to Ebay and do a search using the search term "2560x1440", sort your results by price, then go for the lowest price Shimian or Catleap that you can find (Between $280-$290 shipped total). Or if you have a seller you're favoring then just buy his lowest price base model, it'll be the model you want for gaming ;)

I've had my base model Catleap for a few months now and love every minute of it, it doesn't have the tempered glass but it's still glossy and crystal clear with even backlighting.


The reason I linked tempered glass was because I really don't know much about these.

Question: Why are the contrast ratios 1000:1 isn't that really low?
 
The reason I linked tempered glass was because I really don't know much about these.

Question: Why are the contrast ratios 1000:1 isn't that really low?
Not at all for a PC monitor, most LCD monitors you've seen in the past were either 1000:1 or less, it's pretty decent for an IPS. IPS excels more with colors, viewing angles and motion to a certain extent, couple that with tiny pixels and it's very pleasing to the eye.

There's sacrifices with every panel type, it's a matter of picking your poison, for "noticeably" better blacks you would need a VA panel and many do not want the sacrifices associated with the more affordable ones ;)
 
As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Last edited:
As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I have the shimian without tempered glass... Love it. No pixel problems, I could never go back to a small monitor.
 
how are these does anyone have one?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/27-Inch-Mat...4755?pt=Computer_Monitors&hash=item2320389643

im thinking about getting one of thoes. i was going to get a normal se from overlord just incase so i dont have to deal with any of the warranty overseas. 299 shipped seems pretty cheap though.

the above one seems to have the same style and case as the overlord monitors
It'll have the same glossy LG panel, and one of the controller board variants, everything else is basically plastic. There were a couple defect-prone off-brand models which were yanked from Ebay, so try a Google search before clicking the Buy button.

Edit: Check this owner's thread: http://www.overclock.net/t/1287001/matrix-neo-270wq-2560x1440-monitor-club/0_50
 
As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top