Ipod headphones

godsfshrmn

Limp Gawd
Joined
Oct 15, 2005
Messages
200
I came home today to a chewed up pair of Ipod headphones from one of the new nanos. My question is how high of quality were they? Would I be better off buying the same pair or going with something different? I really dont want to spend over $50
 
Is the Nano still under warranty? If so try calling up Apple and see if they'll ship you a replacement for free, given that the headphones are defective ;)

If you insist on spending $50 for a new pair of of headphones then you are better off looking at something other than the Apple earphones.
 
Ultimate ears have great stuff and can be found here
you of course could pick some up off of eBay for less I have the super fi 5 pro in ear monitors and couldn't be happier.:D
 
Somebody did you a favor chewing those up. iPod headphones are notoriously bad.

Under $50 look at Koss KSC-75 or Sportapro or Portapro for real headphones. For earbuds there's nothing I know of for under $50 but anything by Koss, Sennheiser or Sony will be ok.
 
Somebody did you a favor chewing those up. iPod headphones are notoriously bad.

Under $50 look at Koss KSC-75 or Sportapro or Portapro for real headphones. For earbuds there's nothing I know of for under $50 but anything by Koss, Sennheiser or Sony will be ok.

Yuin PK3 earbuds are fairly cheap if he wants earbuds.
 
What about in the $70 range? These will hopefully last a long time so I want something worthwhile.
 
These sound great. Good isolation, punchy bass and sharp highs. I listen to a ton of drum and bass/jungle which taxes most headphones and am very happy with these. Really comfy too compared to most earbuds. Other earbuds always hurt/chafed. This is the only one I have ever liked. Comes with extensions, case and tangle-free earbud holder. I bought them when they were $40 a year and half ago and am still using it.

Sony MDR-EX71SL 28$
http://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDR-EX71SL-Fontopia-Headphones-Black/dp/B000092YQW

Tons of reviews of these headphones online so just do a search. It was how I ended up choosing them. Comes in black and white. Also comes in different styles like one with ear loops and so on.

If you bought a nano, do you really want full sized cans? Do you want to spend 70$ on headphones that (the way I use them) are likely going to be thrown in bags, wrapped around the player in my pocket next to keys, change ...? With the ones I linked too, I thread them under my shirt and no one ever even notices it. Small, sounds great, comfy, accessories, long cord ftw.
 
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
jvc fx-55. bought them a year ago after reading reviews about them on head-fi.org and loved them ever since. probably the best inner ear buds you can get around $30 and tons better than the pos apple headphones.
 
I would look in to IEMs (In Ear Monitors) the $70 range is perfect for an introductory set.

Research:

shure e2c (AKA e2g, e2g-n)
etymotic er-6i
ultimate ears super.fi 3
V-Moda Vibe (not entirely sealed)

All are $70 and if used correctly will save your hearing. Ear buds are great for blowing your ears at an early age because you often crank the music up to drown out outside noise. IEM's seal inside your ear so you don't need to crank them up.

I have the etymotic er-6i's, I bought them over my second option the shure e2c's because the reviews I read said they were more accurate. (headfi.org).
 
The E2cs are a WASTE of money. Very hard to put in, bulky, dont always seal well and fall out, and they have no bass, even when you do put them in perfect! The sony buds are a far superior product. I've switched back to those since I bought the shures. I wear earbuds only when I'm riding on my motorcycle. I need them for noise isolation. And the E2cs only seem to be able to hit the high notes and dont have any bass whatsoever.
 
Oh, and its not a problem with the onboard amp on my ipod either. I plugged the E2cs up to my millett hybrid (can you say BASS) and got the same results. Only slightly better, but still sounded like crap IMO.
 
The E2cs are a WASTE of money. Very hard to put in, bulky, dont always seal well and fall out, and they have no bass, even when you do put them in perfect! The sony buds are a far superior product. I've switched back to those since I bought the shures. I wear earbuds only when I'm riding on my motorcycle. I need them for noise isolation. And the E2cs only seem to be able to hit the high notes and dont have any bass whatsoever.

try kramer mod on head-fi..improves the bass on my e2c...
 
I have got a pair of Sennheiser CX-300 and am surprised they havnt been mentioned yet :) You can get them in black or white.

I absolutely love them. Check the reviews and other opinions, they really are great and in another league compared to the iPod earphones.
 
These sound great. Good isolation, punchy bass and sharp highs. I listen to a ton of drum and bass/jungle which taxes most headphones and am very happy with these. Really comfy too compared to most earbuds. Other earbuds always hurt/chafed. This is the only one I have ever liked. Comes with extensions, case and tangle-free earbud holder. I bought them when they were $40 a year and half ago and am still using it.

Sony MDR-EX71SL 28$
http://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDR-EX71SL-Fontopia-Headphones-Black/dp/B000092YQW

Tons of reviews of these headphones online so just do a search. It was how I ended up choosing them. Comes in black and white. Also comes in different styles like one with ear loops and so on.

If you bought a nano, do you really want full sized cans? Do you want to spend 70$ on headphones that (the way I use them) are likely going to be thrown in bags, wrapped around the player in my pocket next to keys, change ...? With the ones I linked too, I thread them under my shirt and no one ever even notices it. Small, sounds great, comfy, accessories, long cord ftw.

I can vouch for these...especially for the price. And don't buy white corded headphones. Makes you an iPod thief target.
 
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I've owned the Shure E2C's (modded), Sony EX71's, Altec Lansing IM716 and the Senn CX300's. The only one I've kept is the CX300. I found the E2C's had hollow mids which made the music sound lifeless. The EX71's had slightly boomy bass and shrill highs. The IM716's were pretty detailed and well rounded, but are pretty hard to drive straight from a portable. I ended up with the CX300's, as I found it the best overall for my tastes. It's got a little extra bass and didn't have any of the shrill highs of the EX71's. Not nearly as detailed as the IM716, but I found I wasn't listening critically on the train to begin with.
 
Oh, and its not a problem with the onboard amp on my ipod either. I plugged the E2cs up to my millett hybrid (can you say BASS) and got the same results. Only slightly better, but still sounded like crap IMO.


OP,try these


Has anyone here listened to the new tubed millet ? People are talking about it like its the second coming of christ on Head-fi.
 
try kramer mod on head-fi..improves the bass on my e2c...

Just did the mod this morning, it really does make it better.

Manny Calavera said:
Has anyone here listened to the new tubed millet ? People are talking about it like its the second coming of christ on Head-fi.

Not yet, I just finished my millett a few months ago, I'm not really ready to try out the new version. Supposedly its going to be pretty good though.
 
I can't stand iem's so I went for a pair of these.

Not the best headphones in the world, but for $40 you will be hard pressed to find better in that price range....unless of course you're dead set on iem.

Good luck!
 
Back
Top