IPMI Q's

bobstone

Limp Gawd
hey all again.

so when using IPMI, other then the IPMI view program, what can I use to see and log, temp and voltage info, to make sure my psu and cooling are good?

It's going to vary from system to system. With some you'll be able to view certain things from your web browser instead of an external program.

Supermicro has the best client I've seen. Typically I just query with SNMP and graph it using MRTG (writing my own shell script).

hehe, umm, I am really good on a purely hardware lvl, I am I sure I can garner a basic understanding of MRTG ( which I just did as soon as I wrote that line) which lead me to my question/worry.

I found this link about IPMI and MRTG admittedly it is an old link but I would think it still kinda apply ( for my question that is).

I am completely lost on what the guy is talking about, how difficult is it to learn whats going on there.

I gather from what I saw that I would need to figure out fan/temp/ect.. controller names, then write them in a structured language to get the values outputs I would like to graph?

am I on the right track here?

to put another way,
Typically I just query with SNMP and graph it using MRTG (writing my own shell script).

I don't understand much of that line. I've never had to do stuff like that before.

Thanks
Bob

hehe, umm, I am really good on a purely hardware lvl, I am I sure I can garner a basic understanding of MRTG ( which I just did as soon as I wrote that line) which lead me to my question/worry.

I found this link about IPMI and MRTG admittedly it is an old link but I would think it still kinda apply ( for my question that is).

I am completely lost on what the guy is talking about, how difficult is it to learn whats going on there.

I gather from what I saw that I would need to figure out fan/temp/ect.. controller names, then write them in a structured language to get the values outputs I would like to graph?

am I on the right track here?

to put another way,

I don't understand much of that line. I've never had to do stuff like that before.

Thanks
Bob

Guess I should have explained more. I use xymon, push the script to it using a xymon/hobbit nix client and xymon creates the graph for me (using MRTG).

Back