iPhone XS Max is it just the frame made up of stainless steel?

maverick786us

2[H]4U
I am planning to buy a 256 GB version Golden iPhone XS Max. Being a part of Apple Ecosystem, I was waiting for a phablet like this come into the market, I skilled iPhone X, which it also a good device. But XS Max, its a near perfect device in my eyes, from camera, to screen to multimedia and above all, the build quality and looks.

It might sound like a dumb question. But is it just the frame, that is made up of stainless steel or the back panel, which is covered by the glass?

The frame in the X, XS, and XS Max is stainless steel. That includes the band around the edges.

The back is glass (to allow for wireless charging). The frame is not solid under the glass / it's not just a glass panel over a solid metal frame.

The smaller XR and older 8/7/6 have an aluminum frame.

This may help:

https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/iPhone+XS+and+XS+Max+Teardown/113021

Thanks for the link. This is strange, why they say stainless steel, when only the frame is made up of stainless steel, which is just 20% of it

Thanks for the link. This is strange, why they say stainless steel, when only the frame is made up of stainless steel, which is just 20% of it

The frame is the piece that caries all structural integrity as well as will generally be the item that takes direct hits in a drop. It's possible to of course have a phone land on its face or its back, but most of the time it will be a corner.

To address your question in the OP, why would they have a glass back with steel underneath? You do understand the reason for the glass back in the first place (wireless charging), as well as how things like reception work, correct? Even if they did place steel under the glass (in a magical world where all the other functions of the phone would just magically work), it wouldn't prevent the glass from breaking in the event of a back facing drop. It also wouldn't increase structural integrity either, except for perhaps in an extreme case where the phone is dropped from 20 stories or run over by cars or shot by a gun.

Still, the glass on the XS and Max have proven to be some of the most durable in a phone. Watch drop test videos if you'd like verification. Past that, I'm not sure of the purpose of your question.

The frame is the piece that caries all structural integrity as well as will generally be the item that takes direct hits in a drop. It's possible to of course have a phone land on its face or its back, but most of the time it will be a corner.

To address your question in the OP, why would they have a glass back with steel underneath? You do understand the reason for the glass back in the first place (wireless charging), as well as how things like reception work, correct? Even if they did place steel under the glass (in a magical world where all the other functions of the phone would just magically work), it wouldn't prevent the glass from breaking in the event of a back facing drop. It also wouldn't increase structural integrity either, except for perhaps in an extreme case where the phone is dropped from 20 stories or run over by cars or shot by a gun.

Still, the glass on the XS and Max have proven to be some of the most durable in a phone. Watch drop test videos if you'd like verification. Past that, I'm not sure of the purpose of your question.

Thank you...No matter how strong the device, is, I always use, tempered glass protection, and a protective case, and I don't mishandle my smartphones. The only occasion, when my gadget might feel bit stressed is, when I keep it inside the front pocket of jeans.

When Samsung launched Galaxy S6 devices, they changed the form factor plastic with Aluminium back covered by gorilla glass, and it supports wireless charging. In case of XS Max, what is inside the glass, or is it just a glass, that isn't transparent?

Back