iPhone 2.1 Firmware

codeflux

2[H]4U
Please post your experiences with 2.1 firmware - it's coming out tomorrow morning. What is still broken, what new is broken, what is now fixed?

Speculations based on developers-only 2.1 beta:
- copy/paste (at least hooks into this)
- directional gps
- performance improvements
- battery life improvements
- 3g improvements

RELEASE NOTES

iPhone version 2.1 contains many bug fixes and improvements, including the following:
• decrease in call set-up failures and call drops
• significantly improved battery life for most users
• dramatically reduced time to backup to iTunes
• improved email reliability, notably fetching email from POP and Exchange accounts
• faster installation of 3rd party applications
• fixed bugs causing hangs and crashes if you have lots of 3rd party applications
• improved performance in text messaging
• faster loading and searching of contacts
• improved accuracy of the 3G signal strength display
• repeat alert up to two additional times for incoming text messages
• option to wipe data after ten failed passcode attempts
• Genius playlist creation

Wondering if they will fix this for the hacked iphones like the one I have.

everything is so slow since going to 2.0... address book takes forever to load... etc....

uhh .. i hope they improve the sound quality cause i find all my songs are quieter!

Also , copy and paste is HARD. I have no idea how they're gonna implement it but I would like to know. especially if it spans applications and not just in the current window

Holding off on buying an iphone until I see how improved 2.1 is.

Anyone willing to post in detail their experience with 2.1?

I haven't had problems with the Touch 2.1 firmware, it's rock solid and apps don't crash at all. Interface seems to hitch less when moving between screens, so better performance overall. There's an option for Push data notification but who knows if it's actually working now.

Well, installed it this morning. Contacts come up quite a bit faster, but still lag a little. No other noticeable changes. Haven't experienced the improved battery life yet.

Very impressed so far with this update. Biggest difference for me is that everything simply is faster...contacts, appointments, lack of keyboard lag.

Data fetch is much better and now I can listen to messages with my bluetooth headset!

I havent updated it on my phone yet, but I have on a couple friends, and things so far seem smooth. There is still some minor, minor lag, but a vast improvement from 2.0.

point being: if you can, update it

It's very far from a "perfect" phone.

SMS is painful to use on an iPhone. Some of the other features are nice, but if you're a heavy texter, I'd stay away.

Upgraded to 2.1 and so far so good. Things are faster and my battery last almost twice as long (2 days per charge from the previous 1 day per charge). Not a perfect phone (yet!) but better than any other phone iv had to date! Also, I'm a heavy texter and I find the iPhone just fine for SMS. :D

It's very far from a "perfect" phone.

SMS is painful to use on an iPhone. Some of the other features are nice, but if you're a heavy texter, I'd stay away.

While the phone is not "perfect," if you are a heavy texter, yes that means you text and drive like a maniac, the iPhone is not a wise choice.

However, my texting experiences on it have been ok, once you get used to the keyboard and adaptive dictionary on the phone.

MMS on the other hand, for texting MMS to users other than the iphone (because to other iphone users, you can just email them the pic, and it'll get pushed to the mail :D) it is not a prob, but otherwise to send an MMS to others...the iphone is blahh- thumbs down. :(

darn MMS, swirlyMMS needs to get with it and come through

Back