iPad as a clone monitor for HTPC

Me too. I have no idea why Adidas keeps going on about menus and shit, you just rip the main movie to vob. I am checking out MakeMKV but I only see limited use for it.

okay "dick with a heat of gold"

I only said 1 time ANYTHING about menus

also I know you can rip without menus :rolleyes:

I do not see huge benefit in ripping to VOB if you are not using the menu to preserve special features

MKV container with various video and audio formats is a much more flexible file type as it allows multiple subtitiles, audio tracks and chapters and the benefits of a VOB with the ability to have HD quality and SD in the same container.

I use makeMKV to rip everything DVDs and Blu-Rays and it works great, you can have it scale the video to compress it or leave it as nearly uncompressed

VOB is fine for speed of ripping but it is not the end all be all file format

For ease of use, quality and flexibility among various different media players, hardware and software, MKV is a nice container to house various video and audio rips into while preserving sub and chapters.

I do not see huge benefit in ripping to VOB if you are not using the menu to preserve special features

quality and flexibility. I dont care what container or encoder you use, if you process it you loose some quality. I have the space to rip uncompressed movies so I do. For flexibilty, VOBs are awesome. If a player will play dvds, it will play VOBs. You can run merge tools to put it all in one file as well, but as I said, I try not to process them at all. Also you can create any compressed files from VOBs, so there is that. Any file you create comes from a VOB since thats whats on the disc. Of course, that pertains to regular DVDs. VOBs arent native to the bluray, thats a different format. I rip them straight as well, but dont have too many since I dont see a huge difference in my given setup.

Back