IP Cop and remote logging

Rajin

n00b
Hello all,

I am running IPCop 1.4.15. I have set it up to log requests to a syslog server at another box running Ubuntu Linux 6.10 Server. I have an internal network (this is a lab setup btw) of 192.168.1.1 for the Ubuntu box and 192.168.1.2 for the IPCop box. Even though I setup IPcop through the web panel to send to the Ubuntu's IP; it still has not sent any logs. Does it do this at the end of the day? or is there something I forgot to do??? Thanks.

-Rajin

You may need to configure the ubuntu machine to accept remote syslog messages. I don't know the specifics for ubuntu though.

I did already. I went into the syslogd file and set it to run as -r and then restarted the service. Before the IPCop OS was installed; it was a ubuntu box with 6.10 server as well. it was setup as a client and was successfully sending messages to the server box. Now with IPCop installed; I went into its logging options and set the IP to the syslog server. But just curious as to why it isn't sending any responses.

Thanks

Raj

I know nothing of Ubuntu's install process, but does it enable a firewall by default, if so do you need to open the inbound port for syslogging?

Second, fire up a network sniffer and verify that the IPCop box is actually sending the data.

naw it doesn't enable a firewall by defaul;t... but i will try the sniffer ... thanks for the info... let ya'll know how it goes.

Back