Internet Restrictions problems

trylobit78

n00b
I hope it's in the right forum, as it's basically a problem with Internet Explorer, but here goes:

Well, it's basically as the title says.

My mother managed to get herself into some annoying problems with her PC. Somehow she activated "Internet Restrictions" on her PC and she doesn't know/remember the master password and thus we can't deactivate it. So now, she can't use Internet Explorer anymore, as everything is blocked out (google, hardocp) except the MSN website. Her internet connection still works though, she can email (Outlook Express) and her MSN works.

It happened (probably) while she was installing MSN Messenger. I say probably, as it happened yesterday and she contacted me today about this problem.

I searched the forums and googled for it, but the only related info I found mentioned spyware. So I updated Ad-Aware and ran it and using my stepdad's PC I downloaded and installed Spybot. Both program's removed some bits of spyware. But it didn''t remove the problem.

So now I'm at a loss. Is there any way to recover this password or remove/reset it?

Additional info:
- I checked the security settings for Internet Explorer and set them at normal
- the Windows Firewall is off
- TCP/IP filtering is off
- Zone Alert is at it's default settings

The OS is Windows XP Home (it came with her PC - a custom built AMD XP 2400+) and it's updated with the latest updates from WindowsUpdate. The Internet Explorer version is 6.0.

Many thanks in advance,

Trylobit.

Back