Interesting Case - Shut Down When Installing Windows Updates...

GeForceX

Supreme [H]ardness
I finally got a legit copy of Windows from my friend to install on his computer.

AMD Athlon 2500+ Mobile @ 37C Idle
Asrock nForce2 Motherboard
256MB Value Select Corsair
Regular Power Supply (24A/34A/12A) (Aspire Case + PSU) 350 Watts...
WD 80 GB SE
Plextor 48 x 24 x 48 x CD-RW

I installed Windows XP fresh out of the CD. It all goes fine. Until... I tried to update it with SP1 on Microsoft's CD. As it begins backing up the file system to proceed installing SP1, the computer out of nowhere freezes. I rebooted and tried again. It instead did the same thing but restarted by itself. The computer is able to boot up into Windows however. I thought why not extract the install updates from the CD to the drive (so I may troubleshoot later on that the CD Drive may be the problem). So I did. I proceeded to do the DirectX 9B install instead (going to do SP1 after that anyway). It successfully installs. I rebooted into Windows. Then errors came up which seems to be DX9-related... one error message says it was an invalid image of the Windows install or something, then it froze on the second message. I rebooted. There came with the same two error messages and another one and Windows proceeded to do fine. I then attempted to do SP1's. It restarted once again by itself. Then now it won't boot into Windows saying-- Windows could not start because of an error in the software. Please report this problem as: "Load needed DLL's for Kernel" (which was the same exact thing as the error messages popped up earlier (DX9-related?).

Very interesting. The XP CD I got is very clean and isn't scratched. The SP1 CD too (clean as well).

I can't help but think of this as some HARDWARE error... I could only look at my power supply with guilt because it is after all a quite weak power supply @ 350 watts. Everything else is quality components (even the Asrock-- yes-- it's a subcompany by Asus and we all know and love Asus' products).

I tested the RAM, it is good. No problems. Keep in mind, I can format/install Windows XP smoothly without trouble. So, it is definitely not a CPU problem. What now?

-J.

Update: I tried to repair Windows XP with the Windows XP CD. It stays frozen at "Creating list of files to be copied..." That is very fishy. I will try to redo the setup and the same repair option if that doesn't work, change the FSB to 100 MHz to see if that improves anything.

-J.

Since you're installing a non-SP2 release of XP, make sure to unplug his network cable until you can turn on the firewall. After that plug it back in, install everything, and then feel free to turn off the firewall if you choose.

Doing this avoids the possibility of getting hit with Blaster or Sasser before you get the patch installed which plugs the hole(s) that they exploit.

I found out I overclocked the CPU...

2.4 GHz anyone? Ha. Everything's good right now.

I thought 166 MHz was default but seems like 133 MHz is (2500+ right on par).

-J.

Back