Intel to Redesign Pentium 4 E Processors

umm, thats nothing new, its obvious that intel is going to release new steppings. why is this news?

When Prescott was released, Intel announced that they would be shipping s478 3.4GHz Prescotts that work with FMB 1.0 in Q3. I wonder if these are them or just an intermediary stepping.

Originally posted by Rob94hawk
Maybe cause not everyone knows this.

Intel is going to release new steppings.

Quoting from the article.

By announcing stepping change, Intel either confirms previously said statement about troubles with process technology or indicates problems with Prescott design.

Yes Intel (and AMD) release new steppings from time to time, that's not news within itself. But announcing a new stepping within a couple of weeks of releasing the product is a bit unusual. However they probably have worked out some issue that should allow them to get greater yields and / or help Prescott's clock performance some. It will be interesting once they get released to see if it has any effect on the O/C capabilities as well.

As CIWS stated, I found it unusual that Intel would point out something as ho-hum as a stepping change, sort of an "hey, we know it's hot, we know it doesn't compare evenly with Northwood, and here's what we're doing" statement. I realize a stepping change usually isn't big news if news at all, but when you publicly announce it on the heels of a release (Prescott) it seemed newsworthy. It's not like any stepping changes for Northwood made the frontpage anywhere, that I recall.

Originally posted by Rob94hawk
Maybe cause not everyone knows this.

Why do ya have to shit on his thread? Just to be a dick? Bored?

No, i'm not trying to be a dick, i'm just wondering why a new processor stepping makes headlines. its a common thing.

How bout you take your hostility someplace else.

Originally posted by themustafa
No, i'm not trying to be a dick, i'm just wondering why a new processor stepping makes headlines. its a common thing.

Maybe there is going to be a notable change of something in this stepping that would cause interest.

well i am glad they had enough balls to come out and address this though.

Im,not a big fan of the prescott either!

1024 of 2nd level is nice,but in benchmarking it still falls short for what i want to do.. The 3400 double E is not really a big suprise but until i see new chipsets and boards,im gonna hold off on purchasing any new intel product!

umm, thats nothing new, its obvious that intel is going to release new steppings. why is this news?

It's news because nobody knew the fix was coming so soon. Saved me from making a mistake. Others too I would guess.

Or maybe some people are not a computer guru like you are...:rolleyes:

Originally posted by Fluke
It's news because nobody knew the fix was coming so soon. Saved me from making a mistake. Others too I would guess.

Yep.... I'll wait on the new stepping before I buy one. ;)

yah, wait and see. btw ted, i am gonna bring the unit so we can hook up the vapo properly.

Originally posted by jstnomega
about all that heat http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/39/35556.html

The presence of strained silicon in addition to SOI may well explain how IBM has been able to bring the 970FX's power consumption to well below that of the 130nm 970 - in direct contrast to Prescott, which, clock for clock, has a higher power consumption than its 130nm predecessor, Northwood. ®

Prescott has well over twice the number of transistors that Northwood and the 970FX have.

Back