• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

intel quad q6600 overheating issue

lundo13

n00b
Joined
Jun 16, 2008
Messages
19
Right now I have been having some overheating problems with my pc. I ran speedfan along with seeing the bios readings, and when idle each of the 4 cores is reading in the 60-65 Celcius range. When running an fps game, it gets as hot as 75. At one point I felt the top of my case and it was extremely hot to the touch, turned it off, unplugged and inspected it. The heatsink (the hottest), the ram stick closest to the heat sink, the power supply fan above the heatsink, and my graphics card were all much hotter than usual. I bought some antec silver thermal compound, but I also was thinking about buying a new heatsink/fan.

I don't know if this is the solution to this problem or not, any input would be appreciated.


Specs of my machine:

intel quad q6600
intel DG33TL mobo
ati x1600 pro
xfi platinum
2x1gb patriot ddr2 ram
550w antec power supply
1 antec 120mm fan
2 antec 80 mm fans
 
!!

When I was playing Source on my Stock HSF with my Q6600, I was getting close to 90 celsius with AS5.

If you're using stock cooling, make sure the clips are tight on the motherboard. I used to idle at 50 celsius..

But I just bought a new HSF anyway, the Tuniq Tower.

I idle 30 celsius, and when I play Source doesn't go over 40 Celsius.
 
If you're not gong to overclock much, the Arctic freezer pro should be fine. I had it in my old x2 4600+ system and it worked well. Until recently w/ my Q6700 I was using a Tuniq Tower 120 - and that'll keep your temps in the 40s under load. So something like the Tuniq Tower or a Thermalright Ultra will probably be the best bet in the long run. I know they're a bit more expensive but it'll help alot.
 
Are you planning to overclock at all? Because those temps are somewhat acceptable for the stock cooler, and the other components in your case will still be about as hot if you replace just the CPU heatsink. The CPU will be putting out the same amount of heat regardless of the cooler, and if you want to reduce the case temps, you need better case cooling (which would then lower your CPU temps as well). Is your PC actually having a problem other than being hot?

What case do you have and exactly how are the fans setup for intake and exhaust?
 
Good point..even if you use a better hsf, that means that there's going to be more hot air in the case, so intake fan(s) in the front, exhaust fan(s) in the back and maybe another intake on a side panel will help.
 
Here is a picture of my case: http://img211.imageshack.us/img211/81/img0278tn8.jpg

Since the picture, the wiring as been organized, I replaced the back fan with a 120mm antec fan (on high), and then in the botton right corner of the case I have a 80mm antec fan (on high)

One other problem I have been having (no idea if it's related) is that randomly when I boot up it goes to the bios and then loads the intel logo, along with the random number/letter combinations on the bottom right of the screen (not sure what they are). But anyways, I will hear this unusual clicking noise, and then my computer will freeze while EB is in the bottom right corner. I determined the clicking is coming from my hard drive. My guess is that it isn't reading properly? The hd is about 4 years old and I was considering getting a new one anyways.
 
Hmmm yeah the hdd might be having issues. Download hdtune and run the error check. If it turns up any problems then the drive is hosed. Hdds usually have backup sectors and when those go bad the errors will show up in hdtune.

As for your case, that's pretty good..as long as you have an intake and an exhaust, it's a good start. I added a thermaltake pci slot fan that exhausts out of the back as well. It's sitting right over my 8800gts so if your "system" temps are still high that might help. Does your case have a window /side panel fan? That might help.

Otherwise, how are your northbridge / pwm temps? If those are high you can always jimmy on 40mm fans onto the chipset coolers - if you're going to overclock eventually, it's a good idea anyway.

If the wiring has been organized, if you get one of the coolers that I linked to up there, you'll have a decent wind tunnel going. Most of those coolers get air from the front and push it back to your exhaust fan.

Finally get some Arctic Silver 5 or Ceramique or Tuniq TX-2. If you're using the stock cooler with the stock thermal pad, that's probably part of the problem.

Ultimately you're gonna have to spend a few bucks I think..$50 for the cooler, $5 for some thermal paste, and possibly a new hdd if the current one is dying.
 
i already have the artic paste, havn't used it yet. I ran PC Doctor on the hd and it turned up ok, but the hd tests on it aren't the greatest, as proven at my work. I'll give that hd program a try, also it seems like some of the HSF's are really big, should i worry about some of them not fitting in my case?

Also the side panel does have a small fan on the side, recently i have been keeping it off and having a personal home fan blow into it. If I don't keep the fan on it, I notice overheating issues immediately.
 
Back
Top