Intel memory capacity question

Trucker61

Gawd
Joined
Aug 6, 2004
Messages
911
I have an intel DP55KG mainboard with an i7 870 cpu, the specs list it as a max memory capacity of 16 GB, I currently have 2 X 4Gb of gskill in it, I would like to add more memory to make it 16Gb. Will 2 X 8Gb work or will I have to add 2 more 4Gb modules?

The reason I ask is I would rather buy the 2 X 8Gb kit and use the 8Gb kit I have in it in another build.

Thanks!
 
The specs only list 4gb modules.
If you know anybody that has 2 x 8 sticks you can borrow for a test run would be best or somebody with the exact board and has tried it.

If you plan on getting a new MB, you could always buy the 2 x 8 sticks, if it works then great.
If it doesnt then you still have memory you can use in a new MB.
 
I was hoping I could get away with one 8 Gb module in each channel, the other build I was referring to is an AMD 890 chipset, same deal, 16Gb max......
 
Sorry on the Intel® DP55KG and more importantly the memory controller on the Intel® Core™ i7-870 only support a maximum of 16GB of memory. Since the board only supports upto 4GB sticks you are locked into 4 x 4GB if you want to reach 16GB total.
 
Thanks guys, just thought I would ask, guess I'll buy another 8 Gb set of Gskill then. I appreciate the replies. :)
 
Back
Top