• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Intel Leaks i7-2700k

Ouch, $375 for the 2700k? Then again, they are selling the 2600k for $360, so it's not that much of a premium.

Canadian prices. And yeah, their prices tend to be a little higher than most. But they've been around for a long time so they have good sources on getting stuff on launch.
 
Most of the people dreaming more than likely have core 2 duos or core 2 quads. Owning a core 2 duo myself I can't really see the point in upgrading, since it is more than fast enough for the tasks I do. So I can wait another year for ivybridge. I think the biggest bottleneck I have right now isn't even the CPU, but the amount of ram,(2GB) which makes it chug when I get too many windows open.

PS: I feel sorry for the Pentium 4 people, now that is something that should be upgraded.

Thing is, if you have any motherboard taking DDR2 or slower, you're up against it due to memory prices alone. However, if you look at DDR3, all the motherboards with an decent capacity are those that require a different *processor* (let's NOT get into AMD or Intel at this point, please), so you're still basically up the creek.
 
Correct me if I'm wrong but arn't those prices in Canadian dollars.

they are listed in Canadian dollars, but CDN is 99.3 right now so you're basically looking at the same price.
375.00 CAD = 372.578 USD
 
gotta agree with the above statement, I can't quite see paying the premium over the 2600k. Interested to see some benchmarks though

Plenty of people pay extra for a cherry picked 2600k guaranteed to run 5GHz off eBay and that's basically what the 2700k will be. It's also pointless to compare prices now to the 2600k until the chip is actually released and in stock at Newegg and Tigerdirect.
 
you're wrong.

I'm wrong based on what? Every ES and retail sample 2700k I've seen so far has been tested and benched at 5Ghz. The majority of 2600k's will not run stable at over 4.6-4.8Ghz except for a very few of the better steppings that will hit 5Ghz and it is complete luck of the draw in getting one which is why there are people paying over retail for a "golden sample" off eBay. If the 2700k shows to consistently hit 4.9-5Ghz stable then that means they're better binned then the 2600k's.
 
Last edited:
I'm wrong based on what? Every ES and retail sample 2700k I've seen so far has been tested and benched at 5Ghz. The majority of 2600k's will not run stable at over 4.6-4.8Ghz except for a very few of the better steppings that will hit 5Ghz and it is complete luck of the draw in getting one which is why there are people paying over retail for a "golden sample" off eBay. If the 2700k shows to consistently hit 4.9-5Ghz stable then that means they're better binned then the 2600k's.

QFT^

What's wrong with paying an extra $20 for a better chance at 5Ghz stable?
I'm one of the people willing to pay said premium, especially considering it's so small.

P.S. - Intel providing something like the 2700k is a great way to avoid this.
 
Last edited:
QFT^

What's wrong with paying an extra $20 for a better chance at 5Ghz stable?
I'm one of the people willing to pay said premium, especially considering it's so small.

P.S. - Intel providing something like the 2700k is a great way to avoid this.

$20 premium is okay, I think. Based on Amazon pricing, it's a $65 premium, which is a 20% increase for an extra 200 mhz (less than 5%). Is that worth it to you?

That thread was just one of those guys who feel "entitled." Sounds a lot like a 6 year old going on a temper tantrum to me.
 
Looks like the 2700k is officially launched today. Intel retail recommended price is $332. 2600k price remains at $317. 15 more bucks for a much better chance to hit 5ghz... not bad at all.
 
$20 premium is okay, I think. Based on Amazon pricing, it's a $65 premium, which is a 20% increase for an extra 200 mhz (less than 5%). Is that worth it to you?

That thread was just one of those guys who feel "entitled." Sounds a lot like a 6 year old going on a temper tantrum to me.

1) it hadn't been actually released yet. Turns out its only $20.

2) I didn't mean avoiding people being whiners , I meant you could avoid getting disappointing overclocks.
 
The question is do these over clock better then a 2600?

Most things will overclock better than a 2600. ;)

Seriously though, one would think the 2700k will be better to achieve even slightly higher numbers than the 2600k simply because of the higher stock frequency. But beyond that, we'll have to see what improvements Intel has made in the last year.
 
I'm wrong based on what? Every ES and retail sample 2700k I've seen so far has been tested and benched at 5Ghz. The majority of 2600k's will not run stable at over 4.6-4.8Ghz except for a very few of the better steppings that will hit 5Ghz and it is complete luck of the draw in getting one which is why there are people paying over retail for a "golden sample" off eBay. If the 2700k shows to consistently hit 4.9-5Ghz stable then that means they're better binned then the 2600k's.

that's because they know how to OC cpu's.
 
You guys are arguing about stuff that isn't solidly out yet... cmon, its almost obvious the 2700K will be a FASTER chip. Or else why release it? :)
 
Do you guys think Microcenter will be offering the 2700k and Z68 board discount? Like they are now with the 2600k.

I was planning on gettting this deal, but I'd rather have the 2700k now!
 
MC has a good history with being the leader in low price Intel CPUs. I read the 2700k will replace the 2600k like the I7930 replaced the i7920. I think the price of 2700k will be a good deal at MC once the hype of the newness cools off.
 
MC has a good history with being the leader in low price Intel CPUs. I read the 2700k will replace the 2600k like the I7930 replaced the i7920. I think the price of 2700k will be a good deal at MC once the hype of the newness cools off.

Ahhh that's perfect. I have to wait about a month before I can buy all the parts for my new build anyways.
 
P.S. - Intel providing something like the 2700k is a great way to avoid this.

i dont get it if i buy a 2700 how can intel stop me from being nearly illiterate and posting on internet forums? OMG LOOK HERE ARE SOME CAPS!!11 FOR NO REASON!!


Oh wait, I see what you're getting at ;)
 
Back
Top