• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Intel Core i5 2500K Linux Performance

HardOCP News

[H] News
Joined
Dec 31, 1969
Messages
0
The fellas at Phoronix have just posted performance numbers for the Intel Core i5 2500K on a Linux box. Definitely something all you alternative OS types out there should check out.

Earlier this month Intel released their first "Sandy Bridge" processors to much excitement. However, for Linux users seeking to utilize the next-generation Intel HD graphics found on these new CPUs, it meant problems. Up to this point we have largely been looking at the graphics side of Sandy Bridge, and while we have yet to publish any results there due to some isolated issues, on the CPU side its Linux experience and performance has been nothing short of incredible. Here are the first Linux benchmarks of the Intel Core i5 2500K processor.
 
I think it says something about a site when the first thing they focused on with Sandy Bridge was the integrated graphics.
 
I liked how he was unable to help Charlie get bleeding edge hardware to work under Linux, even with all the drivers. I like Phoronix and it's a bit sad he jumped on the bandwagon before grudgingly accepting that the common distribution models for components is the problem.

The 2500K review isn't surprising. Some of the performance kinks will be worked out as gcc improves optimization for SB. The same thing will probably happen for BD. It's also a reminder why gcc isn't used much outside of *nix/BSD. ;)
 
I think it says something about a site when the first thing they focused on with Sandy Bridge was the integrated graphics.

quote:"These games are CPU bound, especially with a GeForce GTX 460 graphics card using the proprietary NVIDIA driver."

I'd hate to expect you to read an article before whining about it.
 
quote:"These games are CPU bound, especially with a GeForce GTX 460 graphics card using the proprietary NVIDIA driver."

I'd hate to expect you to read an article before whining about it.

Huh?

I wasn't complaining about the article. You obviously weren't paying attention.

This article was about cpu performance, I was commenting on their own statement of focusing on SB's integrated gpu and just now get around to the CPU performance (3 weeks late to the party no less).

Add to the fact that some of their latest articles have included subjects like "Hey here is 12 pages of old driver benchmarks!" and you might see why I was taking a shot at the site itself and not the article. Or not, you were too busy trying to burn me.
 
Many people complain about Phoronix, but nobody ever seems to set up a new site and do better. 7 setups and 8 pages of results -- that's a lot of time required.
 
Back
Top