Intel 6700k Undervolting

CuForcer

n00b
Hi!

Did someone of you already tried out to undervolt the Intel 6700k? How far can you lower the Vcore leaving the standard 4GHZ... Im just interested in how many °degrees the temperatures would get lower. I know every CPU is different, but maybe someone could post some results, (with temperatures before and after) just to get an idea what the 6700k is capable of...

This review undervolted a 6700K by setting CPU Offset to -0.16v, reducing that particular watercooled test setup's Prime95 load temp from 53C to 46C, and total system power consumption under Prime95 load from 140.2W to 114.8W.

That review, from early August, used CPU-Z v1.72.1 x64 to report what their effective voltage was, but I've seen numerous mentions that voltage was getting reported incorrectly on Skylake motherboards. Has that been fixed since then? I'm not sure exactly what the problem was (CPU-Z, BIOS, the CPU itself?) so I'm having no luck researching it.

Hi!

Did someone of you already tried out to undervolt the Intel 6700k? How far can you lower the Vcore leaving the standard 4GHZ... Im just interested in how many °degrees the temperatures would get lower. I know every CPU is different, but maybe someone could post some results, (with temperatures before and after) just to get an idea what the 6700k is capable of...

The best thing to do is try it on your own and see how far you can go without introducing instability. Several subjective results posted on here won't be worth much.

I also fail to see the long-term benefits of this, unless you're going to be constantly loading the CPU (e.g. Folding). The CPU is already aggressively power manged when idle.

Will the time you spend tweaking the settings, and ultimately proving it's stable be worth the tiny power savings you'll see over the lifetime?

Go ahead if you want, but I can't see much interest from others. The last time I investigated undervolting was with my Athlon 64 (because Cool 'n Quiet first iteration caused issues with games).

Its not about saving energey / money... its all about keeping the max temperatures a bit lower! In some cases its possible to achieve -10 or more... So if the system gets pushed to 80-90 degrees in some cases with its standard Vcore, its nice to see if it also could run stable on a lower voltage setting and therefore lower temperatures...

My 6700K @ 4,5 GHz had a temperature of 76°C (aircooling with a dark rock pro 3).
So i decided to set the Vcore manually. Bevore: 1.38 (76°C), now: 1.29 (60°C).

Tonight, i will try to set the corespeed to stock 4ghz and try to lower the vcore as much as possible.
i would like to set the temps @ ~50°C.

EDIT:
1.260 VCore = 58°C stable; but for Far Cry 4 is this VCore-Setting too low. It crashed. :/
Need a detaild overhaul. :)

So: 1.29 VCore = 61° and the game works. Im fine with that. :)

Last edited:
I have no clue how the heck people can get such low temps! is something wrong with my PC? I have a Gigabyte G1 gaming MoBo and i7 6700k but my temps are ridiculously high. That's just from playing games like R6 Siege for 30 minutes. Yes I am using a Stock Cooler because I don't know how to OC so I bought the 6700k in case I learned how to do it and for future proof. Could that be the issue? Also was having Problems with F20 BIOS downgraded to F8 and Core Voltage seems normal now, but even then my temperatures are about 75c or 80c from just playing a game for 30 minutes. What in the world is going on? I posted about this on other forums, but I wanna hear all the opinions there is. I want to fix this so my PC last me a few years!
Before_messing_with_Voltage_2.png

Back