Intel 440GX Mobo & Keyboard issues

I recently aquired an old computer with an Intel 440GX mobo, and it only recognizes the keyboard some of the time. The mobo doesn't like USB keyboards, so a PS/2 style is used.

Quick background: the machine came from my place of employment, and used to have Windows XP (OEM if it matters) on it, and it worked fine. It was decided to make it into a Linux machine, so we tried 2 different distros: Mandrake and Fedora 4. During all this time, the keyboard is recognized fine.

We scrap the Linux thing and decide to go back to Windows XP. The keyboard works fine until I get to the point in text mode setup of windows where it says "Starting Windows". At that point, the NumLock light goes out, and when setup goes to the "Select partition to install Windows to" section, the keyboard is effectively dead.

I have tried multiple keyboards: 2 PS/2's that work otherwise, an AT with a PS/2 converter, and a USB (both via the onboard USB port and with a USB to PS/2 adapter)

I have not tried to setup any other versions of windows other than the XP OEM, but it was the same disc that was used before to set up the machine. Either tonight or tomorrow I shall try 2000 and 2003, hopefully with some luck.

So basically, it doesn't like Windows. Linux and anything with the BIOS is fine. Any ideas as to the cause of the problem?

Back