Insurance Claim Payment....

Filet MP

Limp Gawd
Joined
Oct 19, 2000
Messages
129
Well,

After a major bit of severe electrical storms, several devices in my house apparently took a major spike. End result is that my homeowners policy is going to pay approx. $5000 towards getting my machines up and running again.

What would you guys suggest for 2 boxes for that price - one should be a killer gaming rig, and one would be a file/data server. I don't mind building the boxes myself, if it means I can get better hardware with the money.

Thanks in advance.
 
freecableguy said:
What are you doing here if thats not what you NORMALLY do?

I just meant that I'm capable, for those who don't know me - and that I don't necessarily want to buy an OTS system.
 
I'd say go with an A64 for the gaming, and just keep the file server cheap. spend like 3-4K on your gaming rig, and like 500 on your file server :D
 
Lian-Li Case - $250
PC Power and Cooling PSU - $200
MB - $180
1GB RAM - $300
Intel EE or AMD FX CPU - $750
2 WD Raptors (RAID 0) - $375
SB Audigy 2 ZS (OEM) - $80
ATI X800 XT PE or nVidia 6800U - $500
CD-RW/DVD-RW Drive - $150
Floppy Drive - $10
Assorted Cables - $40

Aircooling? - $80
Watercooling? - $300
Waterchilling? - $400
TEC Cooling? - $450
Phase Change? - $900

I'd say you can do this system for well under $3k. If I sat down and actually researched all the parts I would probably find that I could build a pretty kick-ass system right now for much less than you are looking to spend.

-kris
 
BTW, keep in mind that my cost analysis (estimates) does not included a monitor, keyboard/mouse or speakers.
 
Back
Top