Installing Service Pack 3???

Status
Not open for further replies.

MaXimus

[H]ard|Gawd
I downloaded SP3, preview 2, but all I found is a bunch of setup files which will install the updates indicidually. How do I install them using a single file?? :rolleyes:

I heard about that I think.
It's not offically from MS.
Someone put them all together in a single download you would have to build an installer yourself to string them together.

Get the 30 post SP2 hotfixes and use nlite to slipstream them to your XP install disk...presto, thats your SP3 disk :D

oldmx

Or just turn on automatic updates...Its not like they take a long time to DL, But if you really need them on a install disk then yes to what previous user said slipstream them with N-lite

Why would you even consider installing something like that? As mentioned, just get the updates from WindowsUpdate.

"SP3" as it's called, is not exactly the same as the updates everyone receives thru windowsupdate. Rather it is a collection of hotfixes that normally requires a phone call to Microsoft to obtain.

IOW, install them at your own risk since most hotfixes are developed for specific problems and situation. Although many hotfixes do make it to a resulting service pack, it is done thru long term testing and validation.

Not to mention are you really going to trust a 3rd party website to collect and disseminate such fixes?

Actually, SP3 is really on it's way. Microsoft has officially announced it's impending release, following the release of Longhorn in 2006. Along with security fixes it will bring with it some graphical enhancements carried over from Vista.

I wonder if he has managed to snag himself a beta version of it somehow?

According to the Belarc Advisor, somebody thinks there are some SP3 fixes out there :D

ScreenShot007.jpg

MajorDomo said:
According to the Belarc Advisor, somebody thinks there are some SP3 fixes out there :D

I have no doubt MS has released some preSP3 fixes , the fact remains there is no *official* SP3 in RTM or beta, merely someone masquerading a collection of fixes as SP3.

SirKenin said:
More like a joker.

From the Article said:
Windows XP SP3 will be available sometime next year--after the launch of Windows Vista, which "is the priority for the development teams," according to Microsoft France.
Reading is fundemental. They haven't even created a beta for it yet.

Get a grip. The "SP3" being passed around is a collection of hotfixes put together by someone else.

GreNME said:
Reading is fundemental. They haven't even created a beta for it yet.

Get a grip. The "SP3" being passed around is a collection of hotfixes put together by someone else.
How do you know that? If they announced it, it is very clear they are working on it. It could be in alpha, it could be in beta. Someone on the inside could have leaked it into the channel.

The point is, you haven't got a clue but are merely talking out of speculation.

Oh, I'd say I have a pretty good clue. Of course, I doubt you would even trust the words coming from someone who happened to work at Microsoft. Instead, you would rather assume some elaborate theory that involves some hacker-ish espionage based on movies.

Sorry to break it to you, but they even stated clearly on that very link that they aren't putting much emphasis on it. It's on the roadmap, that's it. Accept it and move on. "SP3" is a hoax.

SirKenin said:

And I point you to this post by hotfix.net, the ones who are making available the so called "SP3".

Pay particular attention to the *first* post where the OP states
Also, I am not responsible for these hotfixes working or not. Contact Microsoft if you have a problem. Also, this is NOT the official SP3 release, just a full hotfix pack I put together

This is what I am talking about. Someone else has collected various hotfixes and called it SP3.

What I am trying to point out to those who don't know any better is that the current "SP3" floating around out there is *not* a service pack from Microsoft. It's not even alpha, beta, rtm, whatever.

GreNME and I can't be the only ones who clearly understand this.

GreNME said:
Oh, I'd say I have a pretty good clue. Of course, I doubt you would even trust the words coming from someone who happened to work at Microsoft. Instead, you would rather assume some elaborate theory that involves some hacker-ish espionage based on movies.

Sorry to break it to you, but they even stated clearly on that very link that they aren't putting much emphasis on it. It's on the roadmap, that's it. Accept it and move on. "SP3" is a hoax.
If you work in the department responsible for it's development than I most certainly believe you. :) Why wouldn't I?

SJConsultant said:
GreNME and I can't be the only ones who clearly understand this.
Very true, but regardless of how much you try to prove it, and how much common sense is/isn't applied...some people are still going to argue with you, no matter what. I don't think I need to mention any specific names.

Anybody else notice the SP3 registry key in your registry with a huge list of hotfixes under it?

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Updates\Windows XP\SP3

Of course there will be a big bunch of "know it all" hooplah about that too, I'm sure, even though SP0 and SP2 is also listed there. Even though MS stated that an official SP3 is on it's way. Even though SJ is the only smart one here who could possibly "get" anything. :rolleyes:

SirKenin said:
Anybody else notice the SP3 registry key in your registry with a huge list of hotfixes under it?

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Updates\Windows XP\SP3

Of course there will be a big bunch of "know it all" hooplah about that too, I'm sure, even though SP0 and SP2 is also listed there. Even though MS stated that an official SP3 is on it's way. Even though SJ is the only smart one here who could possibly "get" anything. :rolleyes:
Don't be a dick. Read what was posted, and use some common sense. Drop the attitude, and you might learn something, instead of finding your way into hulksterjoe's sig.

djnes said:
Don't be a dick. Read what was posted, and use some common sense. Drop the attitude, and you might learn something, instead of finding your way into hulksterjoe's sig.
I READ what was posted, which was a bunch of "I know everything" bullshit. Clearly, with the evidence provided, Microsoft is working on that SP. It's blatantly obvious. That proves the one statement an outright lie. Those hotfixes in my registry are part of SP3, which the naming of the key stands testimony. So. In some shape or form Microsoft IS working on it.

Don't tell me I'm the one being the dick when I'm the only one here providing any evidence besides "what if I work for Microsoft" which means exactly jack shit if you don't work in a department privileged to that information. Microsoft has a zillion departments scattered all over the globe with mitts in each and every pie.

Of course there's the loser in the forum who has compiled a bunch of fixes and labelled it SP3, but that means nothing. Just because HIS compilation of fixes is NOT SP3 in NO WAY refutes my statements that Microsoft is in fact working on SP3 and the evidence is staring at you in the face in the registry.

Then you get other people who contribute sweet dick all except "don't be a dick" and threatening me to some supposed fate I don't even give a shit about, which involves them being a dick themselves. Rather ironic when you think about it.

Those patches are part of SP3. Simple. Plain. Obvious. Microsoft is working on the next SP. The full thing is due out next year after Vista. With the evidence staring you in the face you would have to be a dick, as someone most "eloquently" put it, to miss it.

Just because Microsoft hasn't packaged it up into a neat tidy ball yet means absolutely nothing.

SJ was wrong, and apparently so were the rest of you. Microsoft IS working on it, and the proof is in your registry.

*sighs*

No one said Microsoft wasn't working on it. In fact, links were posted proving they were. The whole point was, not to trust this download, because it's not from MS, nor is it an early beta or alpha. Like I said, stop being a dick to cover up the fact you don't know something. Your giving people a reason to ask that you're banned.

And I wonder. With all the graphical enhancements that Microsoft is planning on throwing into this thing, inherited from Vista, and all the fixes they are doing, would anybody care to throw a guess out there how long it would take to write?

Let's see. They plan it for the first half of 2006. We're now in the final quarter of 2005. Can you whip something up like that in say, four months? Preposterous. Six months? Laughable. How about a year? That would be a little more likely.

And they haven't started it yet? You're full of shit.

djnes said:
*sighs*

No one said Microsoft wasn't working on it. In fact, links were posted proving they were. The whole point was, not to trust this download, because it's not from MS, nor is it an early beta or alpha. Like I said, stop being a dick to cover up the fact you don't know something. Your giving people a reason to ask that you're banned.
GreNMe said:

And you expect me to do anything more than laugh at you? People like you that haven't got a clue in the world what they are talking about, and then accuse me of being a dick and not reading the thread, are the reason I get so pissed off to begin with.

Okay, one more time for the retarded. Microsoft is working on SP3. It's not a top priority, so it will take a while to be released. It's not in beta yet, nor is anything available from Microsoft. Even to those who deal with MS everyday. I work for one of the largest partners or Microsoft, and nothing is available. Some people, not affiliated with Microsoft, are collecting recent hotfixes, and bundling them together, calling it SP3. SJConsultant linked you to that explaination.

SP3 has been announced, and it will exist.

Now, it can't be any more clear, and what's laughable is how you start arguments in every thread, to cover up your lack of knowledge. You were the one flaming people in the Software forum, spouting that AV software isn't needed. Drop the BS, participate in the discussions, and learn something before your banned.

OMFG!!!

NO ONE HAS SAID MS IS NOT NOR HAS EVER BEEN WORKING ON SP3!!!

NO ONEEEEEEEEEE

Yes MS IS working on SP3!!! - how long have they been working on it? likley since SP2 or previously! so i dont know where you are getting you 4 months / 6 months time frames from.

The issue at hand is simply this SP3 as a "whole" single installer is NOT availible to ANYONE because it does NOT exist as a whole single update package.

Sure you can get files that will be INCLUDED in SP3 - since as with past service packs a Service pack is a 'round up" of all updates since the last Service pack and sometimes some extra's tossed in it.

djnes said:
Okay, one more time for the retarded. Microsoft is working on SP3. It's not a top priority, so it will take a while to be released. It's not in beta yet, nor is anything available from Microsoft. Even to those who deal with MS everyday. I work for one of the largest partners or Microsoft, and nothing is available. Some people, not affiliated with Microsoft, are collecting recent hotfixes, and bundling them together, calling it SP3. SJConsultant linked you to that explaination.

SP3 has been announced, and it will exist.

Now, it can't be any more clear, and what's laughable is how you start arguments in every thread, to cover up your lack of knowledge. You were the one flaming people in the Software forum, spouting that AV software isn't needed. Drop the BS, participate in the discussions, and learn something before your banned.
Stop threatening me with banning. You're a nobody little puke hiding behind a computer and I'm not the least bit interested in your little threats. A forum isn't the biggest thing in life to worry about, it holds absolutely NO power over me, and idle threats from a nobody within that forum are even less.

Now. Don't call me retarded. You don't know me from Adam, and I'm far from retarded. You guys said it didn't exist. One went so far as to say it wasn't even started. I proved it to you. If anyone is retarded, it's you, so get off your high horse. I don't give a shit where you work.

I showed you that it does. I don't know what stage it's in, but in some form it is already on your computers if you do your updates. I read the link SJ provided, but that has absolutely nothing to do with what I'm trying to say.

I am trying to say you were wrong. It does exist. I just don't know if it hit Alpha yet or whatever, but then again none of you guys do either. Alpha typically doesn't hit channel. So, even if you DO work for someone that is a close affiliate, you wouldn't even know it existed. This I know for a fact. So can it. It is POSSIBLE, and NONE of you have ANY evidence to deny it, that this product IS Alpha and got leaked. I don't know. Clearly the product on that forum is not an Alpha product or anything else, but we don't know if there is one out there. So really, you're talking out your ass.

I do say antivirus solutions aren't needed. The mainstream ones don't do anything, and I have years upon years of experience to prove it. Unless you're always getting into trouble, in which case you need something REALLY good (and Norton/Mcaffee isn't it), then Trend Micro or Panda's online scan is all you need. I am living proof of it since 1994.

If you call me retarded or a dick one more time I'll ensure that you are the one reported. Now grow up.

MrGuvernment said:
OMFG!!!

NO ONE HAS SAID MS IS NOT NOR HAS EVER BEEN WORKING ON SP3!!!

NO ONEEEEEEEEEE
You don't read either. I already quote Mr. "Microsoft" GreNMe as saying exactly that.

SirKenin said:
Stop threatening me with banning. You're a nobody little puke hiding behind a computer and I'm not the least bit interested in your little threats. A forum isn't the biggest thing in life to worry about, it holds absolutely NO power over me, and idle threats from a nobody within that forum are even less.

Now. Don't call me retarded. You don't know me from Adam, and I'm far from retarded. You guys said it didn't exist. One went so far as to say it wasn't even started. I proved it to you. If anyone is retarded, it's you, so get off your high horse. I don't give a shit where you work.

I showed you that it does. I don't know what stage it's in, but in some form it is already on your computers if you do your updates. I read the link SJ provided, but that has absolutely nothing to do with what I'm trying to say.

I am trying to say you were wrong. It does exist. I just don't know if it hit Alpha yet or whatever, but then again none of you guys do either. Alpha typically doesn't hit channel. So, even if you DO work for someone that is a close affiliate, you wouldn't even know it existed. This I know for a fact. So can it. It is POSSIBLE, and NONE of you have ANY evidence to deny it, that this product IS Alpha and got leaked. I don't know. Clearly the product on that forum is not an Alpha product or anything else, but we don't know if there is one out there. So really, you're talking out your ass.

I do say antivirus solutions aren't needed. The mainstream ones don't do anything, and I have years upon years of experience to prove it. Unless you're always getting into trouble, in which case you need something REALLY good (and Norton/Mcaffee isn't it), then Trend Micro or Panda's online scan is all you need. I am living proof of it since 1994.

If you call me retarded or a dick one more time I'll ensure that you are the one reported. Now grow up.
I don't have to call you anything. You've made a fool of yourself already. I don't have to assume anything about you either, as your offering up enough information about yourself. You're so far off on this one, I actually want you to continue posting, because it becomes better and better with each laughable post. All the facts have been posted for you, from Microsoft. I know what SJConsultant and GreNME do offline. They are in perfect positions to speak directly to Microsoft about this.

SirKenin said:
You wanna stay on topic Ace? You're not exactly painting yourself in any better of a light. How about you dig yourself out of that pit you fell into instead of dragging everything else into this to try and make yourself look better than you really are.
It was Exhibit A in the trial of your ignorance. You have a habit of arguing on topics where you know little.

djnes said:
I know what SJConsultant and GreNME do offline. They are in perfect positions to speak directly to Microsoft about this.
And for the record so am I. I'm a registered Microsoft partner. Your point?

Oh, and maybe GreNME better get his ass on that phone. He says it's still a twinkle in Daddy's eyes, and I proved him wrong. Which kind of proves you wrong. Which you ducked out of of course. He might want to get his facts straight before he presumes to steer anyone else wrong.

SirKenin said:
And for the record so am I. I'm a registered Microsoft partner. Your point?
Then you should know better. If you truly are, then you should know better than to argue against the information given to you in this thread.

djnes said:
It was Exhibit A in the trial of your ignorance. You have a habit of arguing on topics where you know little.

Id just chill for a moment dj. This is how he/she starts off getting everyone pissed. We all know how this person is, and what they do. Ive had my fill with this person to. And its hard not to argue with someone this ignorant. Push the button like I just did and let it ride.....

djnes said:
It was you going off topic in a failed attempt at trying to prove superiority. Ditch the innocence shit. I'm not stupid. I see games like that from your type all the time.

A real debater, and not some kid, tries to debate the case based upon the facts at hand, sticking to one or two key points in a bid to prove his case before the audience (or Judge. I've done Court cases too). You, you just grasp at straws and any old thing you can throw in there. Not to argue the merits of the case, but rather to argue your own superiority in an attempt to convince people that your argument is superior because you are the better person.

I don't fall for those types of games.

PaHick said:
Id just chill for a moment dj. This is how he/she starts off getting everyone pissed. We all know how this person is, and what they do. Ive had my fill with this person to. And its hard not to argue with someone this ignorant. Push the button like I just did and let it ride.....
Very good idea, and one I'll follow. He's been given all the info needed. I know several other people have reported him in this thread alone.

djnes said:
Then you should know better. If you truly are, then you should know better than to argue against the information given to you in this thread.
No, because the information was inaccurate. If it was accurate, or even close, I wouldn't bother. SJ was the closest of the bunch, but even he can not tell us whether the SP3 is in Alpha or not. I'm placing my bets that it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back