Installing OS on Overclocked System?

Ingonuts13

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Jun 9, 2003
Messages
1,982
If my system is Prime stable for 24+ hours and counting...almost 40hrs now. Would you feel safe installing an operating system from scratch on it?

I am wondering if I should back down from the overclock before installing windows XP64.
 
I personally like to install the OS after the overclock. I have had success this way in the past.
 
It doesn't matter, one doesn't effect the other unless you're unstable. Are you stable? If you are, then you can reformat, partition, reinstal, deinstall, millions of times without anything going wrong.
 
I install the OS while overclocked. I don't see what harm it can do except crash, and in that case it shows you that your overclock is not stable.
 
Right.

Also, you'd want to install windows on an overclocked computer. The install process goes by so much faster.

Just be stable!
 
Well it is Prime Stable for almost two days now. Also, everything else seems to work as it should as well...3dMark, Memtest etc.

Just did not know if it was considered a no no. In my book stability is stability, but didn't want to risk a botched XP64 install since its my first time. :D
 
Ingonuts13 said:
Well it is Prime Stable for almost two days now. Also, everything else seems to work as it should as well...3dMark, Memtest etc.

Just did not know if it was considered a no no. In my book stability is stability, but didn't want to risk a botched XP64 install since its my first time. :D


youd most definately be fine... no worrys
 
It's just amazing how fast XP64 installs. You'll be installing your games inside 20 minutes, no doubt.
 
i guess 40 hours of prime does make it quite stable already, but I guess you wont know if you're overclock is really stable unless you try it first hand with your games.hehe
 
dyzophoria said:
i guess 40 hours of prime does make it quite stable already, but I guess you wont know if you're overclock is really stable unless you try it first hand with your games.hehe

Yeah I already gamed a little in 32bit windows and it was fine. No problems whatsover. I will just try it and see what happens.
 
OS? Sure. But as a rule of thumb, don't ever ever ever flash the BIOS on an overclocked system. That would be bad :)
 
Steve-o-man said:
OS? Sure. But as a rule of thumb, don't ever ever ever flash the BIOS on an overclocked system. That would be bad :)


Good call on that one. I usually clear the BIOS every time before and after flashing :D
 
Ingonuts13 said:
If my system is Prime stable for 24+ hours and counting...almost 40hrs now. Would you feel safe installing an operating system from scratch on it?

I am wondering if I should back down from the overclock before installing windows XP64.

I've installed os's on very unstable systems fine, I don't think it's that intensive.
 
If it's stable then it's a moot point-give 'er.

It also takes me longer to reply than it does for you to change your OC back to stock, which would also work.

Either way is fine.
 
Back
Top