Installing new SSD. Question

Sadude

Limp Gawd
Hi all I currently have a 40gb SSD with Windows 7 Installed. I have a standard 500gb HD as my storage drive. I've recently purchased an SSD 128 gp. Can I install it as my main drive with out losing everything on my 500GB drive? I realize they are two independent drives. But if I install the new 128gb SSD do I have to delete everything on my 500gb or will it be recognized

If its just data and doesn't have anything like steam installed on your previous ssd and game files on the hdd you'll be fine. Problems come when you have programs on your data drive because the registry is now gone since you probably want to do a clean install. It will be recognized and I would say disconnect it while installing to your new ssd to insure you don't mess up and accidentally delete that drive (its what I do every time i reinstall windows on my machine).

Basically it just depends on what you have on the storage drive in terms of storage on how it will easily work on your new system, but it won't be deleted unless you accidentally leave it connected and format it by selecting the wrong drive and its basically just plug and play.

If you're worried about losing the data on the 500G drive, just disconnect it while you do your Windows install on the new SSD - that way you avoid accidents (because as we all know, shit happens). Windows will properly detect the drive when you reconnect it, and you can set the drive letter for it to be whatever you want after the fact in Control Panel (Icon View)/Administrative Tools/Computer Management/Disk Management.

Back