• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Installing 2nd HD Need Help!

AnNiMosSiTY

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jan 1, 2001
Messages
195
Hi, I have had one WD raptor 74 gig for about a year now. Im sick of running out of space and deleting stuff so i got a WD 320 gig HD for xmas. These are both SATA, i wanted to keep my OS and games on the raptor and then use the 320 gig for just storage of MP3's and videos etc...

Ive never had multiple hard drives in any of my systems so this is new to me. I have the Raptor plugged in the sata2 port on my mobo. I go to install the new 320 gig HD i plug it in the sata1 port on my mobo. When I boot the PC up the VIA Scan Devices thing comes up like normal but hangs and says the following.

Scan Devices pleae wait......
Press < tab > key into user window

Hardware initiate failed, please check the device! the bios does not be installed.
Press < g > to continue!

(so i hit the G key and get the following)

Reboot & select proper boot device or insert boot media in seleceted boot device & press a key.

The first time i did this i thought no biggie i need to switch the ports the drives are plugged into on the motherboard around. I switched them and get the same error. I went and looked at my mobo manual if their is a jumper or setting im missing and that was no help either. My system specs are

Asus K8V-X
athlon 64 3400
74GB Raptor
1 gig ram
Radeon x850 pro
Sblive Fatality

What else should i do? I don't want this thing to go to waste and i need the space. Am I even installing this correctly? If anyone can help me out I would appreciate it.
 
Damn, that´s a big HD, U can storage a lot o´ porn in there,. hehe. I guess that your mobo doesn´t support SATA2 and your new HD might probably be SATA2, so there is a small jumper on the HD put it on 1,5Gps and boot, it should be fine, updating your BIOS might also help.
 
Ok i changed the jumper around and made some progress. It recognized them on the VIA boot thingy with no error and windows booted up. Now when i go to my computer i just have my 74gig raptor drive on there. I dont see my 320gig drive, but on the VIA Raid tool software that i installed shows both hard drives on there and if i click the check all disks button it says theyre functioning normally. I just wanna be able to start filling this thing up.
 
Back
Top