Installer Service??

OmegaAquinas

[H]ard|Gawd
This is funky.

At work, we've done full installs MS office 2000 and Outlook 2003. Every component is installed to the workstation's hard drive.

The users run as local admin. No flak on that please; I'm trying to get the management s to change that.

Every so often--often enough to be noticeable, but not enough to be a terrible nuisance--there will be an odd problem with an Office application--object linking and embedding error in Excel, a Word toolbar cannot be registered, email sits in the Exchange-connected outbox of Outlook.

I remote manage their PC, turn on the Windows Installer Service, and the problems evaporate.

My question is, WHY?
Don't get me wrong; being able to swiftly 'repair' the problem looks great for me. My issue is, I have no clue why this is, and thats a Bad Thing.

The installer service, to the best of my knowledge, acts as the "port" (figurative term) that the Windows Installer API uses to interface with the registry and the file system. This, to me, should only be active during an install/uninstall--which jibes with its service default of manual startup.
So why does turning it on enable Office applications to work normally?

Back