Installed Vista, my opinions :(

MaXimus

[H]ard|Gawd
Well, Miscrosoft has really spent some hard work on this I must say, it looks so much different to XP! The effects are amazing, it's like watching a show, everything just looks 100 times better now.

On the other hand,

1) My laptop could never connect to the wireless network, it just kept trying to connect forever, I tried the driver that Vista preinstalled, then tried the driver provided by the manufacturer, same result, so I had no internet connectivity because I connect wirelessly.

2) The security warnings to get really really annoying after a while, everything you want to access needs you to authorize it first, and not only 3rd party programs, even bloody sections within Windows itself, Im sure there is a way to turn this off but I didn't play alot with the system yet since I formatted and re-installed XP after not being able to connect via WAN.

It's a shame I couldn't use it, speed was not as fast as XP but hey, it was ok for my laptop (I expected worse results).

Overall, it's a totally new OS, with very nice new features, you would probably have to learn how to use it first. LOL. but it definately isn't for my poor laptop.

Yeah, I just installed it too. It was really easy. It's not running as fast as XP, but I can totally see the potential. The security alerts are annoying, but I'm sure there's some way to shut them up. I'm just imagining what the XP beta looked like back in the day, and this is looking good even in the early stages.

It installed all my hardware perfectly. I haven't tried any games or anything. But it's a fun to use a new OS. My computer is a bit of a novelty again.

I hear ya about those annoyingly repetative security warnings. I hope that's gonna change one way or another by the time Vista reaches final. So far, its been great for me, besides the fact that I can't use 90% of the software I normally use. :p

It seems pretty stable so far too. Though I've only been using it for a day, I havent done anything to crash it yet. :D I'm planning on using this as my main OS until next betas, all the way up to final release. It's not that big a deal since most of my data is on a seperate drive with XP in it. I also don't use my computer for anything mission-critical so an explosion won't hurt me much lol

EDIT: One other thing I find incredibly annoying is that, when you open a window or something, the "tab" thingy on the taskbar animates very... skippy. I mean wtf! Every other fancy animation is smooth and fluid but why is that one skippy?! :p

I want someone with a laptop who has installed Visa on his lappy to give us his opinion and share teh 3xp3r!3nc3

my first impression is that vista looks great!! It has that fresh and crisp look for an os that i've wanted for a while. I havn't had any stability problems yet, but I am having problems with the ICS...
I spent hours just "playing around" with vista.... it's still a beta, but has massive potential!!! :cool:

yeah, microsoft said they are going to tone down the security warnings. I installed it this afternoon, and i have to say, MMMMM. I love it. except for the security warnings. it is running a little sluggish, but it is beta, so they havent optimized it yet. unfortunatly, i had to reinstall XP because city of villains wont run on vista yet :(. guess i'll try again when the release candidate comes out.

Ok although it's too late since I formatted and re-installed XP.

But here is how to remove all those annoying warning messages:

To disable Admin Approval Mode

Click Start, click All Programs, click Accessories, click Run, type secpol.msc in the Open text box, and then click OK.

If UAC is currently active, a User Account Control dialog box will appear. If so, verify that the details presented match the request you initiated, and click Continue.

From the Local Security Settings console tree, click Local Policies, and then click Security Options.

Scroll down and double-click User Account Control: Run all administrators in Admin Approval Mode.

From the User Account Control: Run all administrators in Admin Approval Mode Properties dialog box, click Disabled, and then click OK.

Close the Local Security Settings window

Back