Infinium court order to turn over emails...

vxspiritxv

[H]ard|Gawd
I run a small ISP and don't 'copy' peoples e-mail. Courts really expecting to see all their e-mail? Is it common practice to have a copy of peoples e-mail server side? I would just like to be prepared for the day, if it should come, law contacts me wanting this stuff.

It all has to do with being a corporation.

As a corporation, you have much more responsibility for documenting than communications than most businesses, especially between officers of the corporation (CEO, COO, CIO, etc). Generally corporations archive all emails, computerized records, and written records. They could preen out a lot of stuff that is not required to be archived (not business related), but it is just easier to archive everything.

As an ISP, you should consult an attorney about what you should archive and for how long. And most importantly, once you have that answer, even if it is at your discretion, make sure you have a written policy detailing how long you will archive the emails or that you will do no archiving. That way you are covered if a question of archiving comes up because someone lost something they feel is important or valuable.

I believe it's just talking about the company's emails, not the users emails. I've worked for two ISP's in the past, and neither one did any archiving of user's emails. There would be some privacy issues if they did.

Back