Improvements with CMoy?

kniah

2[H]4U
Joined
Oct 19, 2004
Messages
2,322
I'm thinking about building a CMoy headphone amp for my setup and wanted to get some opinions on whether or not I would see any improvements in sound quality (especially at lower volumes). Is it worth it? Thanks in advance!

Setup:
Stock JVC HA-RX700 headphones
Modded X-FI w/ LM4562 opamp upgrade
 
You may get improvements but the HA-RX700's are pretty efficient and with the opamp upgrade on the X-Fi, the source is quite powerful to begin with, so any improvements might not be too big. A CMoy should cost about $25-30 if you already have the tools. It's a fun project so I'd do it just for fun.
 
Or you can buy a sweet looking desktop Cmoy from me for $50 shipped including the power adapter. :D

But yeah, the HARX700 won't see a huge improvement when you already have an upgrade on your soundcard.
 
you can but at most that i heard with the cmoy amp you would hear about an 10% increase in clairity. The Rx-900 it helps alot but the 700's i didn't feel a change. If you have a modded xfi I think you are good. But having a portable cmoy amp is always a plus =D. Have you try the felt mod? I haven't had my friend do it to his yet but I did it to my rx900's and it helped alot on mid's and highs.
 
Or you can buy a sweet looking desktop Cmoy from me for $50 shipped including the power adapter. :D

But yeah, the HARX700 won't see a huge improvement when you already have an upgrade on your soundcard.

Hehe, thanks for the offer, it does look sweet :) I like getting my hands dirty though, so I'll probably try putting one together for the experience.

you can but at most that i heard with the cmoy amp you would hear about an 10% increase in clairity. The Rx-900 it helps alot but the 700's i didn't feel a change. If you have a modded xfi I think you are good. But having a portable cmoy amp is always a plus =D. Have you try the felt mod? I haven't had my friend do it to his yet but I did it to my rx900's and it helped alot on mid's and highs.

I haven't tried the felt mod yet. I really need to get around to doing it. :)

Thanks for the responses, I appreciate it!
 
similar question, sorry to thread jack:

The Rx-900 it helps alot

itsukisama, I have an RX-900 coming in the mail. Can you give me an idea of what kind of improvement it would get with a headphone amp? (nothing expensive)

I have Win XP and an X-Fi XtremeGamer (stock)

Thanks!
 
Nevermind, I found another post by you in the RX-700 thread:
Outa the Box Comparison with cmoy amp.
Rx-700 10% Increase in clairity of Mid's and Highs
Rx-900 35% Increase in clairity of Mid's and high's Not much of a muffle sound.

35 Hours break in with cmoy amp.
Rx-900 20% Increase in Mid's, High's, and Bass Response No muddy at all. (thank god..)
Rx-900 (Modded) Soundstage lifted a bit you start to hear a clearer separation of sounds. (Stage 1)

Can you suggest a good value headphone amp to buy? I don't think I could make a DIY.

Thanks
 
Nevermind, I found another post by you in the RX-700 thread:


Can you suggest a good value headphone amp to buy? I don't think I could make a DIY.

Thanks

Depends on your budget and what you are willing to spend.
 
well I only have RX-900, so I'd rather not spend more than $50-$100. I don't know if that's possible.

I might spend more to future proof the amp tho, since I'll eventually upgrade my headphones.
 
Cmoy is fine. Mini 3 is awesome if you can find one on head-fi. They are around $100. It really might be a better idea to upgrade something else though. The 900s certainly sound better with an amp but if you want dramatic improvements, you need to step up more.
 
well I only have RX-900, so I'd rather not spend more than $50-$100. I don't know if that's possible.

I might spend more to future proof the amp tho, since I'll eventually upgrade my headphones.

A headphone amp can be moved to your new headphones if you plan to upgrade later. I don't see it as a waste of money since you can use it with each new headphone u use. The cheap cmoy I have does good but the mini3 is awesome from what i heard. I didn't see much of an improvement when i used it with the rx700 straight out of the box. I'll wait for my friend to break his in and we'll try again. I would wait if I was you and break them in or try the felt mod.
 
Back
Top