Import/Export Group Policy

malebolgia

Gawd
I need to setup some 30+ computers with group policies under XP Pro. I could go around and do them all manually, but there has to be a way to export the group policy on one of the machine. Then deploy that exported file on the remaining machines.

This is really the first time I've messed with group policy's so I'm not sure if their's a way to do this or not. Any input is appreciated, I should point out that I don't have access to any Windows Servers (not sure if that's useful info or not, just thought I'd better put it out there).

One thing I found online is something called: Group Policy Management Console with Service Pack 1 (not sure if this is what I want or not).

create a snap in with mmc at the run line and add the security configuration and anaylisis snap in and analyze your currnet settings then export them and then import them to each machine from a mmc console using the security configuration and anaylsis snap in as well.. HTH and someone feel free to correct me if Im wrong....

nomak said:
create a snap in with mmc at the run line and add the security configuration and anaylisis snap in and analyze your currnet settings then export them and then import them to each machine from a mmc console using the security configuration and anaylsis snap in as well.. HTH and someone feel free to correct me if Im wrong....
Sounds right to me.

If there are 30 PC's, I would strongly suggest throwing together even a small server to be a domain controller so that implementing this isn't such a PITA. 30 PC's that require this kind of work is going to take a bit of time.

Uh yeah, definitely setup a DC. That way all you have to do is setup your group policies once (DON'T do your work in the default domain policy! Segment into OU's and create new GPO's that you can assign on a per OU basis for more granular control.

Additionally, if you've got the bandwidth, I recommend setting up DFS with at least one additional root target (can be on a standard 2003 member server) and replication configured in order to ensure high availability of data to your users even if one of the servers goes down.

Back