iMovie(ish) for PC?

acetic

Gawd
Is there a program like iMovie, but for the Windows? I like its simplicity, and yet it has some power... Anything like it for Windows? Preferably free, or under $60 to buy.

Thanks in Advance.

Well, there's MovieMaker which is part of Windows, but I don't know how good it is.
Let me see what else I can dig up.

Windows Movie Maker? Already tried it. With all due respect, its a POS. I put 2 small clips together, then saved it at Max quality... It was pixelated horribly, went in good, came out like crap.

It looks like pinnacle studio is pretty good... Might have to look at buying it...

Thanks for the suggestion anyways...

Just downloaded and Tried virtual dub... Very, Very, Very limited. Couldn't the files of the videos I'm using (.wmv and .mov), said MS owns the patent to the wmv's im trying to use and couldn't open them.

Waiting for Pinnacle Studio 9 Trial to finish downloading..

If only i could find something like a G3 for like $200. Solve my problems. (And create more networking problems and such...)

Hey,

I've been using Pinnacle Studio for 2 years. I love it. You can capture video, edit and burn DVDs with this one product. It's easy to use and intuitive.

I've never encountered a serious problem with Pinnacle Studio. I've made dozens of DVDs and movies with it.

BUT, Pinnacle Studio is said to be very buggy software. Take a look at the Pinnacle messageboards, and learn from others.

Maybe I'm one of the lucky ones... I continue to use Pinnacle Studio almost every day.

I always do a fresh reboot and close all running programs before using Pinnacle Studio. Also, I defrag my capture drive once in a while... just to be on the safe side.

Since video editing is a very huge task for any computer, it's good to have plenty of RAM and a lot of hard disk space too. If your computer is in tip-top shape, you should be able to use any video editing software without any problems.

Michael Scrip

Heh I don't need to use it everyday, its just being used to touch-up some Videos made as a special project for the year end... Some people want some higher-quality videos... and others want some music etc... I just need some powerful, yet simple program so I can have power, and get it done quick (well, as fast as my computer can.. :p) Pinnacle Studio looks like the one...

I don't use all the bells and whistles for the work I do. Just simple cuts and splices, maybe some background music, and a simple DVD menu to start the show.

I sampled all consumer video editing software 2 years ago. Roxio, Ulead and Pinnacle. The things that made me select Pinnacle Studio were built-in DVD burning and DV scene detection.

When you capture an hours worth of tape onto your hard drive, some software packages would create one giant hour-long clip... then you'd have to search through it to find what you are looking for. Pinnacle used scene detection while it captured the tape, so after it was done, I had a folder full of smaller clips that were easily identified by its thumbnail. Basically, each time you press Pause/Record in your camcorder, it's a new scene to Pinnacle.

I tape a lot of dance competitions. I press record, tape the dance, then pause the camera. I do this a dozen times a day. When I capture the tape onto my hard drive, each dance is it's own clip in Pinnacle. So it makes it easy to find the clips I want, and edit them in any order I wish.

After you edit your clips together, it's easy to add music or titles to your project.

One drawback to any of these video editing packages, is the amount of time it takes to render your project. After you capture your video, edit it, and add music and titles... it may take hours to get your video ready to share. Rendering is when it compresses the video and compiles the menus before it can be burned to a DVD. The basic rule of Pinnacle Studio is... 4 or 5 times the length of the project. So, if you have a 1 hour project, start rendering, and go to bed. :) When you wake up, your project will be finished.

It's worth it though. You'll be glad with the results of Pinnacle Studio. It's a simple package, but it's very powerful.

Take a look at this screenshot of one of my dance videos. 36 minutes, 33 chapters:

pinnaclestudio.jpg

Perfect. Remindes me of iMovie. I'm going to install the Trial when i wake up tomorow!!!

(Starting to sound like christmas eve. :p)

Looks like it will be great for what i need and want to do :)

Pinnacle's scene detection only works if you are capturing video straight from a DV camcorder, since it reads the timecode off the tape. If you are using an analog capture device, such as a Dazzle, scene detection won't work. You'll end up with one big clip, but depending on how long it is, it might not be a big problem.

But, Pinnacle Studio cannot import other filetypes, such as WMV or MOV directly. You'll have to convert these filetypes to AVI before you can import them into Pinnacle. Do a Google search for WMV or MOV to AVI converters and see what you find. All I know is that the AVI file must be a Type 2 AVI file for Pinnacle to use it.

I've never done it myself, as I only capture from a DV camcorder. But, file conversion can be used to import other filetypes into Pinnacle Studio.

Here is the link to the Pinnacle Studio 9 user forums:

http://webboard.pinnaclesys.com/read_forums.asp?WebboardID=1&SectionID=227&lng=1

Heh, I cant afford a DV Camcorder...

Can it take video from a Video CD? DVD? Eh, scratch DVD. I don't have a DVD-Rom.

Thanks for all the help!!!

You can take video from a VCD and bring it into Pinnacle Studio. The same rules apply, however. You must convert the VCD video into an AVI file for it to be accepted by Pinnacle.

Do a Google search for "VCD to AVI" and you'll find lots of info. There's gotta be some free trial software that will do this.

Basically, Pinnacle Studio will only accept an AVI file or DV from a camcorder. But, Pinnacle Studio will output to almost everything! DV tape, AVI, MPG, WMV, VCD, SVCD and DVD.

Back