ImgBurn has officially become adware

Jon55

2[H]4U
ImgBurn has officially incorporated adware into the installer and application. Yes, the toolbar offered in the installer is optional, but many people are reporting that the adware is also being found in the actual program itself. I know its' been free and consistently updated all these years and that people need to make some money, but the developer is being kind of a dick about the whole thing.

More on this here.

That's sad because I really like the software.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

"There's a new version of the installer that has the uniblue icons disabled by default and unless they're enabled in the installer, the items in the Tools menu won't appear either."

In other words, don't hit next without reading when installing, big deal.

The old versions still work great as well. I haven't updated my install in over a year, and it's not as if I'm missing out on anything substantial.

This isn't a big deal.
People will run around and scream that the sky is falling, but ffs read the installer, untick the option, and move on with your life. It's still the best free burning software out there.

I know the whole "uncheck the box to not install adware" thing isn't a big deal, its just that some people are still finding adware inside the program itself and in the registry despite unchecking the box.

The installer on ImgBurn's site has the stuff unchecked by default now.
If you use installers elsewhere (including FileHippo) and you uncheck the UniBlue crap, it STILL puts the shortcuts under the Tools menu.

Look I have no problems clicking through installers and opting out, but putting the crap in the app itself is shady as hell. At least they took it out (as of now), but that's still shady. I know it's a free app and everything, but sheesh have some respect for users out there. If you aren't making money, fine, but don't hide shit like that; that ain't cool.

I've found google addon bullshit way more intrusive than this.

Googleupdater
googleupdate helper
google toolbar
google add ons
google task schedules
on and on and on without you knowing.

They've only recently actually allowed you to download a configured offline version of Earth that lets you remove the BS. I guess web 2.0 software is meant to drive you off the Internet with annoyance. Back to the days of no Internet! I've never seen anyone bitch about Google's bloat.

You guys need to get off your knees for this software that's not worth the shot your getting for it.

The installer on ImgBurn's site has the stuff unchecked by default now.
If you use installers elsewhere (including FileHippo) and you uncheck the UniBlue crap, it STILL puts the shortcuts under the Tools menu.

Look I have no problems clicking through installers and opting out, but putting the crap in the app itself is shady as hell. At least they took it out (as of now), but that's still shady. I know it's a free app and everything, but sheesh have some respect for users out there. If you aren't making money, fine, but don't hide shit like that; that ain't cool.

OH HOW THE WORLD OWES YOU SOMETHING.. Get over yourself.

Look I have no problems clicking through installers and opting out, but putting the crap in the app itself is shady as hell.
The guy's been relying on donations for several years now, and it apparently wasn't cutting it. If you aren't happy with it, switch to another burning app.

Not sure why you are jumping on him. Anything less than full disclosure about what gets installed is indeed shady as hell.

The good news is there are plenty of alternatives for this type of app.

I read the thread. Did anyone bashing the developer read every post?
Didn't see anything shady there.

The guy's been relying on donations for several years now, and it apparently wasn't cutting it. If you aren't happy with it, switch to another burning app.

Exactly. I just won't be upgrading my current version of ImgBurn anytime soon at this point. ;)

OMG GUYZ I HAVE TO CLICK SUMTHING ELSE OTHER THAN THE NEXT BUTTON ON THE INSTALLER AND IT SHITS UP MY REGISTRY IM BOYCOTTING THIS POS!!!!!!1111

:rolleyes:

Big Deal, many other freeware programs have gone the same route. You're not paying for it and, oh my god, you get the option to not install some petty links and toolbars on your computer. A lot better IMO than having a software developer bundle compulsory adware/spyware with their free program (me thinks of the "good ol days" of Gator).

This is the same guy who cracked DVD encryption and wrote DVD Decrypter so everyone could more easily steal movies.

I've used ImgBurn for years and installed the new version. I wasn't really expecting crapware so I wasn't exactly paying much attention and it got installed. It's easy enough to remove but I'm not really sure what junk it leaves behind but also I'm not too pissed about it either right now as I have to format and do a fresh install soon anyway. :)

I have no sympathy for the guy...he is a dick. Just charge $5 for the program if you need money so bad.

:confused: His concerns are legit. No need to get all dramatic about it Dion. ImgBurn's recent adware actions are shady. The dev could have handled the situation much better, but didn't. He's shooting the products' reputation in the foot.

OMG GUYZ I HAVE TO CLICK SUMTHING ELSE OTHER THAN THE NEXT BUTTON ON THE INSTALLER AND IT SHITS UP MY REGISTRY IM BOYCOTTING THIS POS!!!!!!1111

:rolleyes:

Big Deal, many other freeware programs have gone the same route. You're not paying for it and, oh my god, you get the option to not install some petty links and toolbars on your computer. A lot better IMO than having a software developer bundle compulsory adware/spyware with their free program (me thinks of the "good ol days" of Gator).

Someone didn't read the thread. :rolleyes: No one is complaining about the guy wanting to make a few bucks off his hard work, jackass. We're bothered by the fact that even though you deselect the boxes the adware remains in the program itself and in your registry and didn't tell anyone about it. And then when people brought it up, he just gave them some BS response instead of being professional about it. But like others have said, there's plenty of alternatives, so no big deal.

I don't give a shit.
Get over YOUR self.

The 2.501 app update [initially] installed garbage even if you unchecked the box. If you don't find something wrong with that, I'll tell you what. The next time you buy something at McDonalds and they screw your order up and either forget half your stuff or they give you something else, go drive home and eat it and don't say anything about it.

Maybe you like having backdoor apps install on your computer without you knowing about it and without your acknowledgement, but I don't.

I'd be willing to bet the lot of you whining about "OH NOES" didn't even install the initial update that did this, but go ahead and comment on it anyway even though you don't have a clue. :rolleyes:

The items in the menu were just links, as he said. They did not install anything on your system if you unchecked them during the installer.

Everyone needs to take a chill.

The "links" under the Tools menu could not be unchecked.
The UniBlue shortcuts on the desktop could be unchecked.

The 1st installer that rolled out added the stuff under the Tools menu whether you chose to install the Uniblue desktop shortcuts or not. This is where the "hiding crap is shady" thing comes from. I chose not to install the UniBlue stuff because I don't blindly click through installers. Guess what? I had 3 entries for "checking my system performance" and other assorted crap under the Tools menu of IB.

LightningUK even admitted as such on his boards and removed the Tools menu stuff from the installer when it was updated the 2nd time. He even admitted that it was wrong.

http://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?showtopic=14079&st=0&p=114491&#entry114491
twipley said:
The financial support coming from the Ask toolbar will probably contribute to reimbursing the years of time you've dedicated to this project.

Lightning UK! used (perhaps unconsciously) the "door-in-the-face technique": http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Door-in-the-face_technique

Everything considered, I am respecting your choice. People installing programs too fast will be the ones "paying" for ImgBurn -- fair for all of us.

LIGHTNING UK! said:
lol yes, it seems I did indeed use the 'door in the face' technique.

My bad and I'm sorry :(

I love the app, I've used the app a long time and I'll continue to use the app.
I still don't think it was right to hide stuff and not allow people to choose not to install it when the software is labeled as "freeware". Adding the option of installing toolbars and other nonsense, I don't have a problem with that. If you're too dumb to read through the installer to uncheck those things, then that's on you that they installed in the first place. But when you install stuff no matter what that parlays as adware (he calls them "links"), no matter what you check or uncheck in the installer - that is shady. In the end he realized it was wrong, removed that out of the installer and put up a new installer - therefore now I don't have a problem with the program anymore. I say what I do because it wasn't right in the first place, but at least he changed his mind and did the right thing.

And the argument of "oh well it's freeware, if you don't like this stuff then pay for something" well that's a lame duck argument. If I pay for Nero or Roxio does it install crap without giving me the option? No.

:confused: His concerns are legit. No need to get all dramatic about it Dion. ImgBurn's recent adware actions are shady. The dev could have handled the situation much better, but didn't. He's shooting the products' reputation in the foot.

Sorry get tired of people who think these developers owe them something.. If you don't like it don't use it.. But then again.. It is the internet.. People bitch about anything.. Even when its free.. Which I find hilarious.

zero2noob said:
I'll tell you what. The next time you buy something at McDonalds and they screw your order up and either forget half your stuff or they give you something else, go drive home and eat it and don't say anything about it.

What an awful example lol. And you bought that.

What a fucking prick. To think his hard work should be somehow compensated. Greedy fuckers taking over this world i tell ya!

It was pretty clear it was sarcasm...

I know. Which is why I'm not sure what his point was?

If he thought people were begrudging the author for attempting making money off the product then he didn't read the thread, hence "Someone didn't read the thread."

Sorry get tired of people who think these developers owe them something.. If you don't like it don't use it.. But then again.. It is the internet.. People bitch about anything.. Even when its free.. Which I find hilarious.

Hilarious is the irony of your comment, which is full of bitching.

Read the thread, jackass. No one is bringing out pitchforks over this. We're just saying it's shady and not very professional. Yes, professional, because once you bring money into the equation it becomes a business. And everyone already knows, and said, that there are plenty of other options out there.

I know. Which is why I'm not sure what his point was?

If he thought people were begrudging the author for attempting making money off the product then he didn't read the thread, hence "Someone didn't read the thread."

Oh the irony. Maybe you should take a quick peek at some of the posts in this thread...:rolleyes:

Back