• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Imaging SSD's

commissioneranthony

[H]ard|Gawd
2FA
Joined
Jul 2, 2008
Messages
1,351
I'm looking to upgrade my laptop primary HDD's with SSD's. However, I like to image my primary HDD every 3 weeks to a month. Program of choice: clonezilla.
Images are great because if windows decided to stop working from a update or some stupid MS BS, I can revert to a perfectly working machine by just inserting the imaged drive. this really helps in college, especially when your at an engineering college.

My question really is, can (2) 64gb crucial c300/ m4's handle this?

I read in this thread:
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1626395
that the c300 tends to lock up when you write too much data at once to it. I fear clonezilla will max out these SSD's because I would be doing the imaging through esata, and clonezilla will fill every last bit of that bus as fast as possible.

Haven't ever imaged SSD's before, cause I never had one.

any advice would be appreciated. Thanks guys!
 
i have never heard of this issue. There is endurance testing at another forum going on where they are just killing a C300 with 24/7 writes, and there is no mention of it ever locking up with writes.

i googled and could only find references to lockups with the old firmware issue which was fixed ages ago.

I have an array of 8 x 256GB c300 and have just raped them in every way imaginable for testing/review purposes. i have never seen this. i do note that he mentions with the 64gb specifically, but i have never heard of this and cant find other reported issues of this?
i would treat it as unsubstantiated info unless you can find other users who have replicated this.
probably a chipset issue or something with that individual users gear.

EDIT: link to testing, note the 64gb C300 has a longer projected life than any other drive :)
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?271063-SSD-Write-Endurance-25nm-Vs-34nm&p=4916268&viewfull=1#post4916268
 
Last edited:
^^thanks for the info. I emailed both intel and crucial about imaging. I didnt find much about people imaging the 64gb drives. they usually just raid them, and most of the time thats on the 128gb and larger drives, not 64gb's
 
Back
Top