• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Im stumped...any ideas?

Foxcow

2[H]4U
2FA
Joined
Jul 13, 2002
Messages
3,238
For some reason, my system keeps crashing. I get freezes and sound from my speakers. I thought it was a bad install of windows so I formated and I still get them. I ran mem check and got no errors. I thought it was my power supply so I bought a new one and still get the crashes. I took out all of my hardware, cleaned everything, checked for damage, and re-seated everything. I flashed BIOS to the latest revision.

I hadnt made any changes to my system for a while except for an upgrade to Cat 5.2 drivers. I never abused my system. She ran 24/7 (only shut off when away for a few days) for a while.

My system is as follows:

Athlon XP 2600+ Barton
Epox EP-8rda3+ rev 1.1
Saphire 9600 256Mb
Corsair value select 512 Mb PC2700 CL 2.5
Soundblaster Live! 5.1 digital
WD 40gig 7200rpm
WD 120gig 8mb 7200rpm
Maxtor SATA 120gig 7200rpm
Lite on 52x32x52
POS 16x DVD


Im pulling my hair out :confused:
 
I would say it is most likely a memory related issue. hard to tell whether its the ram or video memory at this point though without more info.
 
I remember when i first ran the new catalyst 5.2 drivers it blue screened then rebooted my system. So i just stuck with the 5.1's lol.
 
Is there anyway that you might be able to try another Video card be it new or used to test the theory of a possible video issue. IMight want to stick with the default drivers that came with the card, Try running in a defult video mode like 16 bit 256 for a little while I know it will look crappy its something to try though.
 
My guess would be to uninstall the new drivers. If the problem has happened since then it is most likely you cause.


 
BigBadBiologist said:
sorry, missed that in your initial post. What are your CPU temps?



pretty normal. Idle around 45 no higher than 53 under load.
 
That seems a little high, but shouldn't be causing this. I would uninstall the ATI drivers in the control panel, run drivercleaner (remove all ATI stuff from there), reinstall your chipset drivers, then reinstall the ATI drivers.
 
TwiztedFait said:
My guess would be to uninstall the new drivers. If the problem has happened since then it is most likely you cause.






I will try that. If that doesnt work, I will try to find another video card to use.
 
BigBadBiologist said:
That seems a little high, but shouldn't be causing this. I would uninstall the ATI drivers in the control panel, run drivercleaner (remove all ATI stuff from there), reinstall your chipset drivers, then reinstall the ATI drivers.


The temps are well within the accepted range. Im using the retail cooler and arctic silver thermal paste.
 
I went back to the 5.1 Cats and still no dice. Im still getting crashes. My mainboard postcodes look good too.


However, I resent BIOS and came across this even after I bought a brand new power supply

All looks good
DSCN0383.JPG


She momentarily dips down every couple of seconds...
DSCN0385.JPG


Had to reset BIOS to get my initialization page to stay put...
DSCN0386.JPG
 
You're always going to get that checksum error after resetting the BIOS, since the settings in the BIOS don't match the physical settings (i.e. memory size, hard drive, etc.) so you have to setup your BIOS after clearing CMOS.

Did you have a decent surge-protector on your system? At any point did you have a power outage or something weird happen to the computer?

I had a similiar situation happen to one of my computers when I had left it on when I went on vacation. Apparently there was some sort of power-outage while I was out, and the computer had rebooted but did something weird and had stuck on being locked up.

Long story short, I replaced the hard drive, had to do a complete diskwipe on the old hard drive, but it's good now. UPS on all computers now, no problems since.
 
Buckus said:
You're always going to get that checksum error after resetting the BIOS, since the settings in the BIOS don't match the physical settings (i.e. memory size, hard drive, etc.) so you have to setup your BIOS after clearing CMOS.

Did you have a decent surge-protector on your system? At any point did you have a power outage or something weird happen to the computer?

I had a similiar situation happen to one of my computers when I had left it on when I went on vacation. Apparently there was some sort of power-outage while I was out, and the computer had rebooted but did something weird and had stuck on being locked up.

Long story short, I replaced the hard drive, had to do a complete diskwipe on the old hard drive, but it's good now. UPS on all computers now, no problems since.


I know that about the checksum error. I had to reset BIOS to get my initilization page to stay put so I could take those pictures. I have a decent surge protector so I can rule that out.
 
Back
Top