i'm looking for some sata cables

_mike_

Weaksauce
Joined
Jan 15, 2005
Messages
82
i hope someone can finally help me find them, i have looked for (seriously) a year.

the type of cable i desire is round, not flat (think tube). i also want one with "soft" rubber, one that bends like butter (thanks steve jobs for the comparison), but doesn't really hold a shape.

similar to how some ethernet cables are soft and just twist all around like nothing, and others are stiff and just suck. i've had similar encounters with coaxial cables.

i don't care what color they are, length doesn't matter either.
 
I don't think you'll find 80-conductor cables that flexible. Sorry. Think about it - in order to flex, one side would have to stretch, the other side would have to compress. That isn't something metal does well.

 
I'm an idiot. I thought you meant IDE cables.

Sata cables have 7 conductors. However, I'm not sure you can make really rounded sata cables and still get good signal - there are only really 4 conductors used for data, the other 3 are grounds. I don't know if it's possible to make the cable round and still get the same degree of isolation.

 
i have an old one that i'm going to hack up.

edit: i sliced up a sata cable that came with a motherboard - standard flat gray cable. the verdict is that generic sata cables like these cannot be made round, really. 3 wires were just "embeded" in the rubber not insulated individually and were probably 22ga. i ripped one easily oops.

the other 4 were grouped in 2 pairs - insulated seperately.

i still don't see how a company couldn't make them.
 
Back
Top