• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Im dying here....

Joined
Sep 7, 2006
Messages
18
Look I left a previous thread shown here http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1096592. The problem is this, I installed my first soundcard an audigy2 zs and got horrible crackling in games like Oblivian, call of duty2, ect..I went out and bought an X-fi card thinking my old one was caput. However when I installed this one I get the exact same problem, crackling sound and choppy graphics. Now I know its possible that this could be a problem with the motherboard, however it does it in both PCI slots and I tried everything I know and some suggestions from people on the forums. Does anyone know or have any other idea what could be causing this problem? My next move is just to go by an Intel motherboard cause Im thinking amd sucks. t5hanks for any help..... :(
 
Im gonna guess this is ether hard or I spent 100.00 on a bad board that is not going to be returnable..bumer
 
:( nope ive tried everything and the likely hood that I got bad drivers for my audigy2zs and the new x-fi are pretty slim. I really just hope its fixable and not just a bad motherboard....
 
Now hang on a second, AMD certainly does not suck.

Do you still have your onboard sound enabled? Disable, otherwise you may run into problems.

Which drivers are you using?
 
thunderball said:
:( nope ive tried everything and the likely hood that I got bad drivers for my audigy2zs and the new x-fi are pretty slim. I really just hope its fixable and not just a bad motherboard....

Creative's history of releasing crappy drivers makes that not so slim.
 
Just looked up the motherboard you listed in the thread you linked. Are you using that AGP Express slot? If so, then I'd say that's your problem. AGP Express is not true AGP. It's just a PCI slot converted to AGP, but it's on the same bus as the other two slot therefore stealing bandwidth.

Also I'd invest in some DDR-400 RAM.

Plus VIA is not known for it's rock solid stability.
 
And creative is not known for putting out cards that work properly for everyone. Check creative x-fi forums. I had the same problem and ended up getting a full refund from newegg.
 
Okay, hold on a sec...are you telling me that it is possible that the agp card I have is causing this sound problem? You are right it did say something about the agp being fake for better lack of words... Also I did get 400mhz ram thinking that was the problem. I guess getting an sli vid card may fix the problem?

I new Id get someone to comment on the AMD stinks thing.....:)

One more thing What sli card thats not to expensive would equal the gforce 7800 gt?
 
thunderball said:
Okay, hold on a sec...are you telling me that it is possible that the agp card I have is causing this sound problem? You are right it did say something about the agp being fake for better lack of words... Also I did get 400mhz ram thinking that was the problem. I guess getting an sli vid card may fix the problem?

I new Id get someone to comment on the AMD stinks thing.....:)

One more thing What sli card thats not to expensive would equal the gforce 7800 gt?

No, not the AGP card, AGP implemtation. True AGP has it' own connection to the northbridge and memory (DiME i think it's called). It doesn't have to share it with other devices on the bus (by definition it's a port not a bus). AGP Express on the other hand was an attempt to allow people with AGP cards to upgrade to PCIe motherboards by taking one of the PCI bus slot and converting it to AGP. So now the other cards have to contend with the AGP card to have access to the bus. Since AGP is a display adpater it gets priority over most other things, sound cards included.

Put simply:

AGP 8x has up to 8Gbs bandwidth to the AGP slot alone
PCI supplies up to 1Gbs bandwidth to all the PCI slots.

An AGP card will use up most of the PCI bus bandwidth and leave little for your soundcard. Creative sounds cards are also known to be bus hogs themselves. So since the display adapter gets priority over the sound card, the sound card doesn't have it needed steady stream of information. Thus you have degraded sound quality.

You can either get a motherboard with true AGP, or get a PCIe video card and see if that doesn't help your problem. But SLI is a bit of overkill to fix a sound bug.
 
Back
Top