If I wanted CMSS, EAX, etc

Ronco

[H]ard|Gawd
2FA
Joined
Oct 6, 2005
Messages
1,308
Haven't really been keeping up with the gaming cards. Given the thread title, for a new Vista 64 build should I still turn to the X-Fi series?
 
CMSS can only be had through CL products. However, there are competing technologies, such as Dolby Prologic and Dolby Headphones.

EAX 3-5 can only be had from CL products. However, Asus just began emulating EAX 3-5 in software in its Xonar line of cards in an effort to compete head to head with CL. The results, based on reviews I have read, aren't perfect (as each game can get buggy), but when a game is properly supported by Asus, it seems to work better than anyone's expectations.

That is all I can tell you, as I am in the same boat and am about to upgrade to Vista x64. I'm probably going to switch to an Asus Xonar DX 7.1. My X-Fi ExtremeMusic has been having problems even in XP x32 with crackling in my speakers and headphones lately. That, the better analog quality, and CL's reputation for problems with x64 has led me to seriously reconsider my blind faith that CL cards are the only option for me as a serious gamer.
 
I thought the Extrememusic had a different EAX implementation to the rest. I usually buy the Elite Pros (more as a hedge against any gaming audio compromises really, or so I thought), but I'm wondering whether I should go PCI-E, and/or whether the other cards offer better implementation of the surround modelling and environmental audio. I have come across static with Vista 64 and the Elite Pros on occasion, which was one of the reasons why I started wondering whether there was a better solution.

I'm not hugely concerned about anything but gaming audio (especially with headphones) with whatever I buy, audio quality isn't as high a factor as for music listening I'll have a Prism Orpheus hooked up to the new-build PC, with the gaming card set as the default card. However since the 2-chan outputs of the gaming card will be folded back into the Orpheus where it'll feed a Headroom Max ending at a Sennheiser HD650, the sound does need to be at least acceptable and free of glitches from the analog output stage of the card.
 
I thought the Extrememusic had a different EAX implementation to the rest.

Perhaps you're thinking of the XtremeAudio, which is a software-only implementation of the X-Fi?

I'd suggest one of the Asus cards over anything from Creative / based on Creative's hardware. If you haven't been keeping up, check through some recent threads here. I've posted links to articles in some of them that compare the Xonars with the X-Fis; their capabilities, along with Creative's inability to give a shit about their customers, makes me want to say "stay away from them" to everyone.

You may hear suggestions for Auzen's X-Fi Prelude. Don't bother with it. Auzen's recent shenanigans requiring registration and limiting the number of "activations" for the DDL feature on those cards is ridiculous.

If you really want an X-Fi, get an XtremeMusic or XtremeGamer (the XtremeMusic may have better analog audio quality than the XtremeGamer), that way you at least aren't paying out the nose for it. Personally I'd take a Xonar DX over either of them.
 
The Auzentech cards can also do CMSS and EAX fully as they use the same X-Fi processor.
I dont recommend buying an Auzentech at the moment though as they require you to register to download drivers.
Even worse, to use the Digital out port (DDL), you have a limited number of OS installs before they will not allow it to be enabled.
DDL needs to connect to Auzentech online using a key to enable the feature!!
They will disable the key after a number of OS installs.
Bad :(

Hopefully Auzentech will change this ridiculous policy as until then I cant recommend them which is a shame.
 
The Auzentech cards can also do CMSS and EAX fully as they use the same X-Fi processor.
I dont recommend buying an Auzentech at the moment though as they require you to register to download drivers.
Even worse, to use the Digital out port (DDL), you have a limited number of OS installs before they will not allow it to be enabled.
DDL needs to connect to Auzentech online using a key to enable the feature!!
They will disable the key after a number of OS installs.
Bad :(

Hopefully Auzentech will change this ridiculous policy as until then I cant recommend them which is a shame.

Two questions - Why is registration/activation a problem given the conditions on their site, and more importantly why would I pick an X-Fi based board when I could buy an X-Fi? Do the Auzentechs have superior gaming audio additions?
 
Two questions - Why is registration/activation a problem given the conditions on their site, and more importantly why would I pick an X-Fi based board when I could buy an X-Fi? Do the Auzentechs have superior gaming audio additions?

The Prelude has the same gaming support that the X-Fi boards do but also has the benefit of better components and better audio for music. That said, it has the same disadvantages X-Fi does: Creative Labs drivers and company history.

If listening to music is not a priority for you, I would not consider the Prelude as you will pay a premium for that.
 
It's a problem because they say right on their site that they'll only allow you to activate the DDL feature a certain number of times. So one day you might reinstall windows and find out a feature you paid for no longer works because they decided to disable it.

Creative has apparently gone with this activation scheme for their new drivers as well; seems there's a process running in the background now and without it nothing, even their control panel, will work.

http://techreport.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=58229&start=90#p847305

As for why you'd want an Auzentech X-Fi over the others... assuming you want an X-Fi in the first place, it does offer different outputs than the regular X-Fis. Better DACs, too, I think. Dunno what good that does with these driver shenanigans.
 
Creative has apparently gone with this activation scheme for their new drivers as well; seems there's a process running in the background now and without it nothing, even their control panel, will work.

I didnt know that :(
Theres little hope of getting Auzentech to stop doing it then.
Asus are sure going to get a lot more business!
 
All right, well Auzentech is out since it doesn't seem like I'm getting anything more than Creative for my needs. I'll do more research on the Asus and I'll also consider the PCI-E X-Fi. Thanks for the comments, appreciated.
 
Back
Top