IEXPLORE.EXE vs iexplore.exe

magik20

[H]ard|Gawd
are these the same programs? Ive done alot of google searching but cant seem to find anyone saying that the capital letter version of iexplore.exe anything malious?

I'd say rather than looking at caps vs no caps to judge whether it was malicious, I'd look at where it was/running from. I have seen both the upppercase and lowercase spellings for internet explorer.

I'd say rather than looking at caps vs no caps to judge whether it was malicious, I'd look at where it was/running from. I have seen both the upppercase and lowercase spellings for internet explorer.

Same. Just run some anti-malware programs or a good virus scanner to satisfy your concerns.

In task manager->view->select columns, add "image path name" and see if it points to the same file.

Should be in c:\program files\internet explorer or c:\program files (x86)\internet explorer if using 32-bit IE on a 64-bit Windows.

Windows is case insensitive by default, so IEXPLORE.EXE and iexplore.exe are the same if they are in the same directory.

Last edited:
In task manager->view->select columns, add "image path name" and see if it points to the same file.

I may sound pretty stupid asking this, but I actually wanted to try that at my work PC... and I can't find that checkbox! I'm running Win XP sp3 32-bit...

Here, take a look:

taskmanm.png

I have "Image Name" greyed out, but -of course- the only thing that reads in that column isn't the file path, just "iexplore.exe". Are you referring to the Vista taskman version, or XP's? :confused:

He was referring to Vista's task manager. Right click, select properties and the location field will be the same thing.

I may sound pretty stupid asking this, but I actually wanted to try that at my work PC... and I can't find that checkbox! I'm running Win XP sp3 32-bit...

Here, take a look:

taskmanm.png

I have "Image Name" greyed out, but -of course- the only thing that reads in that column isn't the file path, just "iexplore.exe". Are you referring to the Vista taskman version, or XP's? :confused:

Yeah that is an option that only exists on vista and later. SysInternal's Process Explorer will allow you to view it on XP.

I don't have XP, but someone who does, can you right click the file and select properties? The path is there as well. (or you can just use the suggested sysinternals util.)

Back