Idiot relative broke off HSF bolt in mobo

Hey a good old fashioned heat n beat.... lol been years since I have seen one of those. Except it was always on a ship.

I don't see what would be wrong with using 2 bolts?

3 is worse than 2 tho...

He might be able to drill it out but may need to start with a smaller bit. And remember he is most likely trying to drill out a stainless bolt, which will be hard as hell to do. May break a few bits in the process and if he slips and hits the board it will be toast if its not already.

Tungsten carbide anyone?

Yes I agree not a great idea for the boards sake - but whats to say he hasn't already broken off several SMT components along with their solder tracks when he broke off the bolt?
Has it been tested since this happened?

Wow.

Tell him to quit using computers.

How old is this person? In their teens right? And they think they know a lot about computers, I take it? wow, again

Worth mentioning that I built my first Athlon 64 system when I was 12, so not all teenagers are worthless. Just most of them. ;)

So where are these pictures you said you were going to take? I want to see how bad the damage is.

I don't see what would be wrong with using 2 bolts?

3 is worse than 2 tho...

Tungsten carbide anyone?

Yes I agree not a great idea for the boards sake - but whats to say he hasn't already broken off several SMT components along with their solder tracks when he broke off the bolt?
Has it been tested since this happened?

My wife called her sister (computer killer's wife) yesterday to make arrangements to go up there and the schedule doesn't work out so we're not going this weekend (YAY!). She asked about the mobo and she told him that numbnuts had put it back in the computer but it "never started" (didn't POST). So she went out and got a really great deal on a laptop and she swears that she is keeping him from even touching it. I've put a $10 bet with my wife that he'll have the laptop dismantled by next week because the valve lifters are noisy or the timing chain needs to be replaced! G-d save us from the morons that are taking over the Earth! :(

I wouldn't help him, and I'd let him know exactly why too. I'd tell him: "I'm willing to help people that value my input, however I'm not going to help somebody who completely disregards my advice to the point of negligence."

Let him take it to a professional shop. One of the best teachers in life is known as: "Wasting a fuckload of cash through your own stupidity".

I wouldn't help him, and I'd let him know exactly why too. I'd tell him: "I'm willing to help people that value my input, however I'm not going to help somebody who completely disregards my advice to the point of negligence."

Let him take it to a professional shop. One of the best teachers in life is known as: "Wasting a fuckload of cash through your own stupidity".

They were renting a house and their lease expired so they had to move. They had a $1600 security deposit. They had to pay the landlord money over and above the deposit since moronbrains placed his BBQ right next to the vinyl siding and melted a big area of it. I've seen boxes of hammers with higher IQs than this guy. :(

They were renting a house and their lease expired so they had to move. They had a $1600 security deposit. They had to pay the landlord money over and above the deposit since moronbrains placed his BBQ right next to the vinyl siding and melted a big area of it. I've seen boxes of hammers with higher IQs than this guy. :(

jesus christ, $1600 deposit, how much was their rent? And how did he afford with with a minimum wage job?

jesus christ, $1600 deposit, how much was their rent? And how did he afford with with a minimum wage job?

Rent was $800 but they had to have an extra month's deposit for their dog. She's a Reg. Nurse so she makes decent money. He's a bozo who can't even keep the job he has. He spends at least half the year on unemployment insurance. I think the total to fix the siding was almost $3,000. Costly burgers. :)

Sounds like a similar deal with my brother in law, his idea of fixing a rattling fan is to jam electrical tape in the gap between the hub and the underside of the fan....mind you his idea of fixing most laptops involves electrical tape.

I told him to just steer clear of fixing laptops, they are generally more of a PITA than anything else, and I only fix my own, I haven't got time for anyone else' s*#t, I fixed his once, needed the DC jack replaced, he had tried everything from jamming epoxy inside the jack, to soldering with an old hot iron, without taking the bloody thing apart first.

Once they know you'll look at the problem, you will become the first contact for help, until you tell them, you broke, you fix it, they won't stop asking you.

I work for a gal who's husband is certifiable. He takes everything apart because the government has cameras in everything. I'm talking smoke detectors to the big screen. Anyway after buying a 4th laptop she had me epoxy the screws so he couldn't take it apart...

Sounds like they need to start a club.

I work for a gal who's husband is certifiable. He takes everything apart because the government has cameras in everything. I'm talking smoke detectors to the big screen. Anyway after buying a 4th laptop she had me epoxy the screws so he couldn't take it apart...

Sounds like they need to start a club.

Would that cause him to freak and kill like 40 people?

holy christ I thought the guy I removed the fake virus scanner from his laptop 2x in 1 week was bad! It was like" hey I got this facebook message from a girl who's profile pic had huge boobs, I clicked on it and nothing happened!"

holy christ I thought the guy I removed the fake virus scanner from his laptop 2x in 1 week was bad! It was like" hey I got this facebook message from a girl who's profile pic had huge boobs, I clicked on it and nothing happened!"

did you tell him that she gave his computer and STD?

Personally I say fuck em. People like this that break their shit and have no humility deserve it.

Now....if you want to fix it just pick up some easy outs.

You need to drill a pilot hole first before hitting it with an easy out...I also don't think they make easy outs that small, finally dont think you want to give this guy a hammer next to a motherboard...if the electrical paths on that area of the mobo aren't already fucked by him way overtorquing the hsf then they certainly will be after striking an easy out with a hammer next to it

His wife told me that it's dead. I kinda wish it had been him rather than that poor defenceless mobo! :)

Once they know you'll look at the problem, you will become the first contact for help, until you tell them, you broke, you fix it, they won't stop asking you.

Important words to always remember: "$100 an hour, two hour minimum." Those words got me out of being the friends/family computer bitch real quick.

Now then, I am one of those that takes apart almost everything I own. I can almost understand the desire to always tweak with things. I live by the words "if it ain't broke, fix it till it is." Yet, I prefer to put shit back together, working, when I'm done having a peek inside.

I guess it's a level of aptitude... I build and repair specialty robotics used for medical research for a living and on the weekends try to keep an English bike on the road.

Great advice! I'm going to have a card made and hand it to the various technoleeches I know! :)

Aaaaaaaaah... Britbikes... Tell me it's a Norton 750 Commando and I'll be your bitch. (Only figuratively speaking...)

Back